Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higher potential from cooling?

1. Feb 27, 2006 #1
    Why do people try to get the lowest temperature possible on their CPU? Is the sole reason because as temperature decreases electrical resistance decreases, meaning less collisions of electrons, and then therefore less heat from kinetic energy? Would the limit of cooling the CPU be at zero electrical resistance or superconductivity? I've seen someone overclock a 3.4GHz CPU to 6.6GHz under a temperature of -140°C with liquid nitrogen. According to what I've seen the critical temperature for nitrogen is -146.9°C in which it experiences zero electrical resistance. Is that the point in which you cannot possibly overclock anymore?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2006 #2
    Sorry, wrong forum. The critical temperature I posted was for nitrogen, i'm not sure if that is the point of superconductivity, but I think I need the point of superconductivity for silicon, what processors are made of.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?