Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Highest art

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    What type of art do you believe requires the most talent?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2009 #2
    Drawing real-to-life forms with full value.

4. Oct 25, 2009 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That would require having some success criteria by which to compare them.

Who is to say how much talent is required to make the perfect two-sticks-nailed-together-to-give-to-your-mom as opposed to just any two-sticks-nailed-together-to-give-to-your-mom?

5. Oct 25, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Mechanical engineering.

6. Oct 25, 2009 #5
    1) Sales
    2) http://www.vancouversun.com/Smooth+criminal+preyed+hotels/2043574/story.html" [Broken]I think that require the most effort beyond selling products
    or recent hoax ran by the balloon family
    :rofl:
    3) Engineering
    4) Making/Writing movies

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Oct 26, 2009 #6
    In principle, opera combines most classical arts : music, dancing, theatre, even poetry or painting for instance can be included. Thus is one would restrict to this category, it would appear in some sense, opera (of a generalized form) could be considered "perfect".

However, it is of course a matter of taste, and russ has a very relevant point : sensibility. Thus, commenting on one of his students dropping off for poetry, Hilbert remarked "I never thought he had enough imagination for mathematics".

8. Oct 26, 2009 #7

drizzle

Gold Member

IMO...calligraphy,especially Chinese [& Japanese], Indian, Persian [& arabic] calligraphy

9. Oct 26, 2009 #8
    I think truly good writing is a high art.
    Architecture can be an amazing art as well.

10. Oct 26, 2009 #9
    Generally a person only preforms a few roles at most in creating an opera. The talent involved is spread over several persons and analyzing it we would probably wind up breaking it down into its constituent parts again.

I was thinking perhaps orchestral composition though.

11. Oct 26, 2009 #10
    Music :)

12. Oct 26, 2009 #11
    As far as 2-D art goes here are my thoughts:

Hyperrealism - (think Richard Estes, Chuck Close (pre 1988), etc) mainly due to the complete attention to detail and the minutia with which they are concerned.

I really have a lot of respect and admiration for Chuck Close- I have been a fan ever since high school. I really appreciate his work after his accident which paralyzed him but he continued to paint and work after the accident. I think his post-accident work is quite interesting and is always pushing the boundaries.

13. Oct 26, 2009 #12
    Now if you make that three sticks, (to the uneducated) you get an A and you can start with the art of reading.

Ever tried making a photo realistic airbrush work?

14. Oct 29, 2009 #13
    breathing, seeing, hearing, touching, tasting and smelling.

15. Oct 29, 2009 #14
    All of them.

16. Oct 29, 2009 #15

disregardthat

Science Advisor

I think all posts here should start with IMO.

I think there is no limit to the talent one can have in any type of art. And how do you compare talents in different fields of art? The one that has the strongest aesthetic appeal? In that case it is heavily dependent on the individual observers taste.

17. Oct 29, 2009 #16
    The OP asks which you believe requires the most talent. In such a case I think we could start thinning the field by removing any art form that could be done by anyone since it obviously does not actually require any talent at all.

And aside from arguing what constitutes art aesthetics really hasn't much to do with the level of talent required. We are not asking who is the most talented.

18. Oct 29, 2009 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

About 20 years ago, I worked on a fish processing ship in the Bering Sea. Most of the workers were college students, like me. Two of my coworkers had this same exact argument.

One said: poetry is the highest art, because the rules are so strict that you have to be creative to let your message rise above the imposed rules.

The other said: film is the highest art, because to use it properly you must master dozens of technologies to get your message across, and there are no real rules so creativity is totally unleashed.

And me, an art-dumb physics/chemistry major, standing there listening to them argue, on the slime line processing black cod. Good memories :smile:.

Oh...my opinion about the highest art? Burritos.

19. Oct 29, 2009 #18

disregardthat

Science Advisor

Any art can be done with any level of talent. The quality will be proportionate however.

How does this matter? How could one judge the talent of any when it comes to different forms of art? The aesthetics of the results might an indicator.

20. Oct 29, 2009 #19
    You are right about many forms of art here but there are types of art where the average person would have no idea where to begin let alone actually be capable of creating anything.

Again. Not talking about the talent of individuals but the required talent of any particular artistic field. The most talented artist in the world may simply draw on paper with pencil. I can do the same but I am no master. But say the second most talented artist in the world is a stone sculptor. Even though I have read a book on how to sculpt stone I would hardly know where to begin. To even start requires far more talent than drawing a stick figure.

21. Oct 29, 2009 #20
    Anything created by a god.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook