Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Highest CPU Temperature

1. Jul 20, 2006 #1
    What is the highest temperature your CPU has reached? Mine is 150 degrees fahrenheit.:surprised This was on an Athlon XP.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2006 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Mine doesn't ever get above 150 when I overclock - 160 is a little high. I have an XP 2500+.

4. Jul 20, 2006 #3
    62C after a few hours of testing my Pentium D 920 with an ambient temperature of around 28C.

5. Jul 20, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

150F is absolutely not an issue for modern CPUs. They are designed to be able to operate at upwards of 125C, or 257F.

- Warren

6. Jul 20, 2006 #5
    I also have a Athlon XP 2500 (I believe it is a Barton) and I only reached 150 degrees once. My BIOS released a siren. Because I shut down the machine and it had time to cool, the temperture during runtime may have been higher than 150 degrees.

7. Jul 20, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If your BIOS gave you an overtemperature warning, then I'm pretty sure you're talking about 150 degrees Celsisus, not 150 degree Fahrenheit. Be careful with your units.

- Warren

8. Jul 20, 2006 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, warren - most will have their alarms in the 60-70 celsius range.

Overclockers.com has all sorts of info, including a database of users overclocks. Here is an article, though, on their efforts with a certain processor. They pushed it up incrementally until it failed - at just above 62C.

edit: forgot the link... http://www.overclockers.com/articles1344/

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  9. Jul 20, 2006 #8
    I get this heat on my AMD 64 3000+

10. Jul 20, 2006 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Hehe i have my CPU near 125 F when doing heavy tasks with my water cooling system :biggrin:

I remember when i was into the whole overclock thing... "hmm... do i have any liquid nitrogen...."

11. Jul 21, 2006 #10
    I have a barebone I built myself. My Bios has a bunch of overclocking features built in.

My CPU is set to die aty 60c and my ABS (Anti burning system) is set to let that go to 73c and I have thermal resistor that is sitting at 53c right now. I could overclock the hell out of it, but I dont need to its perfect as it is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?