What substance has the highest expansion ratio?

In summary, the conversation discusses the substance with the highest expansion ratio and whether the volume of a substance after being converted to a gaseous form depends on the substance. It is mentioned that water and neon have high expansion ratios, but the question is not clear as it does not specify temperature. The conversation also mentions that comparing the volume of a substance just below its boiling point to its volume as a gas is not a fair comparison, as gases expand more with temperature. The purpose and constraints of this comparison are not known, but it is suggested to use online resources to gather information and create a table for further analysis.
samblohm
What substance has the highest expansion ratio? (liquid:gas)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Assuming ideal gas - will the volume of the substance after it was converted to gaseous form depend on the substance?

--
methods

Last edited:
I know water has an expansion ratio of 1:1700, and neon's is 1:1400 (which is the highest for elemental substances).

On the second thought - question is no clear. It doesn't state anything about temperature. If the idea is that it is measured at STP many substances are ruled out, even if they have (in their temperature range) much higher expansion ratio.

And neon doesn't look to me like a possible record holder (even for elemental substances at STP). For example xenon seems to be a tiny bit better (and I am not stating it is Xe that wins in this category).

--

What I mean is the volume of a substance just below its boiling point (at 1 atm) compared to the volume of the substance right after it has all boiled to a gas (at 1 atm)

This is still not clear. You can't compare water (boils at 100 deg C) with iron (boils around 2900 deg C) even if they can be both converted to gaseous form. For obvious reasons 1 mole of gas at 2900 deg C will have much higher volume.

Which is why I'm not comparing their volume. I'm comparing the ratio of their liquid volume to gas volume.

The problem hasn't gone away - gases expand a lot more with temperature than liquids do, so liquids with higher boiling points are likely to score higher on your scale. Knowing the purpose and constraints would certainly help us a lot.

You can certainly google for whatever info you want and build a table of whatever you really want, though.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of "Highest Expansion Ratio?"

Highest Expansion Ratio refers to the ratio of the volume of a substance after it has undergone expansion to its original volume before expansion. It is a measure of how much a substance can expand or increase in size.

2. How is the Highest Expansion Ratio calculated?

The Highest Expansion Ratio is calculated by dividing the final volume of a substance by its original volume before expansion. The result is expressed as a ratio or percentage.

3. What factors affect the Highest Expansion Ratio of a substance?

The Highest Expansion Ratio of a substance is affected by several factors, including its composition, temperature, and pressure. Different substances have different expansion ratios, and these ratios can also change depending on the conditions in which the expansion occurs.

4. How is the Highest Expansion Ratio important in scientific research?

The Highest Expansion Ratio is an important factor in scientific research as it can help scientists understand how different substances behave under various conditions. It is also used in fields such as materials science and engineering to determine the properties of materials and how they may respond to changes in temperature, pressure, and other factors.

5. Can the Highest Expansion Ratio be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the Highest Expansion Ratio can be controlled or manipulated by changing the conditions in which the expansion occurs. For example, by adjusting the temperature, pressure, or composition of a substance, scientists can alter its expansion ratio. This can be useful in applications such as manufacturing, where precise control over a material's expansion is necessary.