Highest Expansion Ratio? (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

What substance has the highest expansion ratio? (liquid:gas)

Borek

Mentor
Assuming ideal gas - will the volume of the substance after it was converted to gaseous form depend on the substance?

--
methods

Last edited:
I know water has an expansion ratio of 1:1700, and neon's is 1:1400 (which is the highest for elemental substances).

Borek

Mentor
On the second thought - question is no clear. It doesn't state anything about temperature. If the idea is that it is measured at STP many substances are ruled out, even if they have (in their temperature range) much higher expansion ratio.

And neon doesn't look to me like a possible record holder (even for elemental substances at STP). For example xenon seems to be a tiny bit better (and I am not stating it is Xe that wins in this category).

--

What I mean is the volume of a substance just below its boiling point (at 1 atm) compared to the volume of the substance right after it has all boiled to a gas (at 1 atm)

Borek

Mentor
This is still not clear. You can't compare water (boils at 100 deg C) with iron (boils around 2900 deg C) even if they can be both converted to gaseous form. For obvious reasons 1 mole of gas at 2900 deg C will have much higher volume.

Which is why i'm not comparing their volume. I'm comparing the ratio of their liquid volume to gas volume.

russ_watters

Mentor
The problem hasn't gone away - gases expand a lot more with temperature than liquids do, so liquids with higher boiling points are likely to score higher on your scale. Knowing the purpose and constraints would certainly help us a lot.

You can certainly google for whatever info you want and build a table of whatever you really want, though.

Last edited:

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving