Maximizing Friction Coefficient for Mini-Sumo Robot Tires: Tips and Tricks

In summary, the speaker has been tasked with building a mini-sumo robot and is seeking advice on increasing the friction coefficient of the tires. They plan to use anti-slip sprays or Sorbothane elastomers to improve traction on the smooth wooden surface of the arena. The use of a scraper to push the opponent upward and gain traction is also discussed. The speaker mentions that repairs are allowed during matches, so even if the tires made of Sorbothane only last one match, they would be effective in increasing friction.
milo_ec
Hi, I was recently tasked to build a mini-sumo robot (10x10cm. 500g. the objective is to push your opponent out of a 75cm. diameter arena or dohyo), and I was wondering about the tires that I'm going to use. I want to increase the friction coefficient as much as I can, so I was wondering how to do so. The track or dohyo, is made of wood with black paint, very smooth surface. Everyone uses silicon slick tires 2.5cm. diameter, and about 3cm wide. Can you help me to get the coefficient up? Does the area of contact make any difference? Maybe not use slick tires? any material better than silicon for these?
I order some of these tires to try out, and get the coefficient with the track to have a reference point.
PS. sorry if my grammar is all wrong, I´m not a native english speaker.
Thanks!
:P

Physics news on Phys.org
There are anti slip sprays commercially available from Krylon or Rustoleum. They do not specify the coefficient of friction but at about $10/can you could give them a try. Surface area has no effect on the frictional force only materials in contact ( their texture) and the force pushing them together contribute to.the frictional force.

gleem said:
the force pushing them together contribute to.the frictional force.
Actually, if everyone uses the same tyre then this might be the most important. With pushing the opponent slightly upward your robot will gain some extra foothold, while the other one will lose some. If such thing is allowed by the rules...

You will have to experiment to find if wide or narrow tires get better total friction. Also, sanding the tires could remove any surface film and increase friction.

Sorbothane (www.sorbothane.com) makes a range of soft elastomers that they sell for vibration isolation and damping. Those elastomers have extremely high friction coefficients when they are new. One source lists a static friction coefficient of 10.4 for the 50 Shore 00 durometer Sorbothane. I have some Sorbothane samples on my desk. The surface of my samples is so sticky that the samples stick to a vertical surface. I suspect that tires made of Sorbothane would not last long, but would get really good traction while they lasted. McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) sells Sorbothane in the U.S.

Rive said:
Actually, if everyone uses the same tyre then this might be the most important. With pushing the opponent slightly upward your robot will gain some extra foothold, while the other one will lose some. If such thing is allowed by the rules...

It is allowed to have a "scraper" (don´t have a better way to describe it) on front to get the other robot a bit on top of you, that will get the effect you refer to. I design my robot to take advantage of these and get better traction, but one with a sharper scraper could get these effect to his favor, so I´m trying to compensate for these with better tires.

gleem said:
There are anti slip sprays commercially available from Krylon or Rustoleum. They do not specify the coefficient of friction but at about $10/can you could give them a try. Surface area has no effect on the frictional force only materials in contact ( their texture) and the force pushing them together contribute to.the frictional force.

Well that is something defiantly worth looking in to, but I haven´t seen those in my country. Also, I don´t think I mention these, but no adhesives are not allowed and you get penalized if you damage the dohyo in any way.

jrmichler said:
You will have to experiment to find if wide or narrow tires get better total friction. Also, sanding the tires could remove any surface film and increase friction.

Sorbothane (www.sorbothane.com) makes a range of soft elastomers that they sell for vibration isolation and damping. Those elastomers have extremely high friction coefficients when they are new. One source lists a static friction coefficient of 10.4 for the 50 Shore 00 durometer Sorbothane. I have some Sorbothane samples on my desk. The surface of my samples is so sticky that the samples stick to a vertical surface. I suspect that tires made of Sorbothane would not last long, but would get really good traction while they lasted. McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) sells Sorbothane in the U.S.

Imports are a slow here, but I will definitely buy some samples to try. You are allowed to make repairs, so even if they only last one match, with that friction, they would be perfect.
Thanks!

milo_ec said:
It is allowed to have a "scraper" (don´t have a better way to describe it) on front to get the other robot a bit on top of you
In such case who has the 'scraper' hanging the lowest (without touching the floor) will win. Friction is just invalid if the tire does not touch the floor at all... To handle this to your advantage will be the key I think.
Will it be two- or four wheel drive?

Add adjustable ballast so it's only just under the weight limit.

In case it's not obvious it should be all wheel drive.

I´m aiming for a 499.5g robot, I´m at 447, but no tires or controlboard, it is two wheel drive, with some weight on the front, but mostly on the back (75% to the rear, more or less). People tend to add weight to the front to ensure that they will lift the other robot (more weight, the blade gets a tighter fit to the ground), but I´m countering that by getting better grip and a sharper blade.

You mention that others add weight to the front of their vehicles. If you then get your blade under them they will have a lever arm on your front, the pivot point at your front wheels, and tending to lift your rear wheels.

All this points to either all-wheel drive as @CWatters stated, two-wheel drive on the front wheels, or at least spring suspension on your front wheels. The spring suspension decreases the lever action tending to raise drive wheels.

Let us know how you do in the competiton!

Cheers and good luck,
Tom

Could you use square or hexagon tires? That would give a flat surface and lots of traction against being pushed.

NTL2009 said:
Could you use square or hexagon tires? That would give a flat surface and lots of traction against being pushed.
Unfortunately that would yield less traction. Friction force depends only on contact force and the coefficient-of-friction. If you increase the contact area the force per unit area decreases, giving the same final result.

Additionally, there will be a decrease in traction coming off the high spots of the wheels. In the limit, consider if the wheels are spinning fast enough, that the vehicle will be airborne until the next high spot comes around. No traction while it is floating in the air!

Tom.G said:
Unfortunately that would yield less traction. Friction force depends only on contact force and the coefficient-of-friction. If you increase the contact area the force per unit area decreases, giving the same final result.

Additionally, there will be a decrease in traction coming off the high spots of the wheels. In the limit, consider if the wheels are spinning fast enough, that the vehicle will be airborne until the next high spot comes around. No traction while it is floating in the air!
Square/hex tires definitely would have other problems. Like all things, it's a trade-off.

I was thinking of the tracks used by Earth moving machines ('Cats'), but I guess that only applies to rough surfaces. The "contact force and the coefficient-of-friction" comes into play on very smooth surfaces. But nothing is perfectly smooth, I'm curious if there is some real world effect.

OK, another crazy idea (or brilliant idea, if it works! :) ) - suction cup/s? Use a vacuum pump or mechanical push/release?

Last edited:
NTL2009 said:
OK, another crazy idea (or brilliant idea, if it works! :) ) - suction cup/s? Use a vacuum pump or mechanical push/release?

Maybe. Remember TARS in the movie Interstellar. Put the suction cups on the feet keeping one set anchored at all times.

gleem said:
Maybe. Remember TARS in the movie Interstellar. Put the suction cups on the feet keeping one set anchored at all times.
Or just one large suction cup in the center. Lift it when moving, drop it and pull a vacuum when being attacked.

Likes Joe591
milo_ec said:
People tend to add weight to the front to ensure that they will lift the other robot (more weight, the blade gets a tighter fit to the ground), but I´m countering that by getting better grip and a sharper blade.
You must keep low while preventing others getting below you. One way is to have light wedge shaped radial fingers, like an outer skirt, that rest on the floor and wears to conform to the floor surface. Very little vertical movement is required, they could be hinged under their own weight, or lightly sprung. That minimises the height at your outer edge, while an enemy blade passing under a finger and over another will lock before you are lifted. You only need sufficient fingers to block or obstruct a blade, or to pass under the enemy. Less fingers give less floor pressure. You are looking for a finger material with a low coefficient of friction to the floor.

Likes Tom.G
suction cups are actually an interesting idea, inother news, I just got the tires, and also silicon rubber to cast tires and experiment a little. It is worth noting that these robots can move fast, very fast. I¨ll try to get some footage and pics of waht i got so far.

remember that small wheels are better than big ones for this sort of thing - whilst tractors and industrial stuff have large wheels, this is for ground clearance. a small diameter wheel will increase the torque you can put down onto the track. Watch some videos of Razer from Robot Wars pushing the other robots around - tiny wheels, damn near unstoppable.

Can you steer? if so then the ideal approach will be to get alongside the opponent and push them sideways.

On a smooth surface like you describe, a walking suction bot could be pretty awesome. The problem is that if the opponent is fast, it will always get away.

I was working on something else when I came across this:
https://www.inventables.com/technologies/suction-cup-tape
it's essentially sticky tape but without the glue, it uses little dimples as suction cups to stick to a smooth surface. I think it could be a brilliant thing to put on the wheels! and it would certainly work wonders on a set of tracks.

Are you allowed any sort of grappling device? IE can you pick up the enemy and then drive to the edge and put them down? or are you limited to the skirt?

if you have the space, having a skirt which slowly revolves will do wonders, as it would turn the opponent sideways when you attack, and turn them away when they attack. not spinning like a weapon, but just to move the opponent around a bit.

Hey @milo_ec -- brilliant move coming to PF to let the membership be part of your advisory set in your robot war campaign. Do you have a link whereby we could look at all the rules/ constraints/ parameters/ conditions? I for one am intrigued.

Last edited:

What is the definition of friction coefficient?

The friction coefficient is a measurement of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the force required to move one surface over the other to the normal force pressing the two surfaces together.

How is the highest friction coefficient determined?

The highest friction coefficient is typically determined through experiments where different surfaces are rubbed against each other with varying amounts of force. The maximum value of the coefficient of friction is then calculated from the data collected during these experiments.

What factors affect the highest friction coefficient?

The highest friction coefficient can be affected by several factors, including the texture and roughness of the surfaces in contact, the amount of force applied, and the type of material the surfaces are made of. Other factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the friction coefficient.

What are some examples of materials with high friction coefficients?

Materials with high friction coefficients include rubber, sandpaper, and some types of plastics. These materials are often used in applications where a strong grip or resistance to sliding is required, such as in tires or shoe soles.

Why is the highest friction coefficient important?

The highest friction coefficient is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in contact with each other. It is also crucial in engineering and design, as it allows us to select the most suitable materials for specific applications based on their frictional properties.

Back