Highest IQ?

1. Highest IQ???

I'm doing a project on IQ and for posters I'm doing some information on the person with the Highest IQ in the world. Unfortunately, this seems to be a difficult thing to determine.

Marilyn Vos Savant is supposed to have the highest IQ according to Guiness. But Guiness isn't really commonly used in Scientific discussions as a source of knowledge. Regardless, I tried to find this on the site and couldn't.

Some sites state William James Sikes was supposed to have had the highest IQ of all time. Other's say this is just a farce. The things the sites say he was capable of are amazing, but it's difficult to say if their true.

Some sites say Goethe or Leonardo da Vinci were the most intelligent in the World. Is there a designated most intelligent individual with the highest IQ? Or am I better off just taking a few people and saying on the poster something like? Who do you think it is?

Thanks to anyone who responds.

2. jcsd
  3. Janitor

Janitor 1,189
    Science Advisor

"Who do you think it is?"

I would have no idea who it is among living people. As far as all-time, I would place my bet on Leonhard Euler. I think it was said of him, "He calculated as others breathed." But he was not some idiot savant who could extract cube roots of big numbers in his head and do nothing else. He was a very creative mathematician whose work was at the cutting edge of the mathematics of his day.

4. Marilyn Vos Savant's 228 IQ is as a child. Child IQs are less accurate and has a higher standard deviation than an adult IQ test. Marilyn Vos Savant's Adult IQ has been ranked at 186.

Goethe and Leonardo da Vinci could not have the highest IQ since they died before IQ tests were ever invented. So how could they have ever taken an IQ test? Although if they did take one I'm sure they would do well but it's impossible to estimate exactly what score they will get.

The person with the highest IQ alive today is suppose to be Kim Ung-Yong from South Korea. Who's IQ was ranked at 210.

"Testers have only been able to estimate the IQ of Kim Ung-Yong, who was born in Seoul, Korea, on March 7, 1963. His IQ has been placed at exceeding 200. He was fluent in Japanese, Korean, German, and English by his fourth birthday. At four years, eight months he solved complicated calculus problems on Japanese TV. He is considered to be the most brilliant person alive. One factor may be that his parents, both university professors, were born at precisely the same moment: 11:00 a.m., May 23, 1934."

Source: http://campus.murraystate.edu/academic/faculty/winfield.rose/wub.htm

5. It's me :D

... no seriously ... ... it's me :D

Jokes ... no really ... I'm jokin!

Hey BlackVision ! How wierd is that? Why/How would the simultaneous births of his parents affect hois IQ?

6. Probably doesn't. It's just weird and all and something to ponder over.

7. Thanks for the help. Does anyone know anything on Sidis?

8. Integral

Integral 7,345
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a pointless question, with no possible chance of arriving at a meaningful answer. Two reasons.
    1. There is no universal test of intellegence.
    2. No possible way of testing all living humans.

Seems to me it is a waste of time to even ask the question.

9. Evo

Staff: Mentor

I had read about Sidis some time ago.

His life was destroyed by his parent's attempts at creating a genius.

Young Sidis could read at 18 months. He'd written four books and was fluent in eight languages before he was eight. He gave a Harvard seminar on the fourth dimension at nine. He entered Harvard at eleven. He may've been the most intelligent person who ever lived.

Here is a partial list of William James Sidis' extraordinary capabilities and accomplishments:
    1. Given IQ is a purely anthropocentric means of assessing intelligence, Sidis' IQ is crudely estimated at 250-300.
    2. Infant Billy listened to Greek myths read to him by Sarah as bedtime stories.
    3. Started feeding himself with a spoon at eight months (after two months of trial and error).
    4. Cajoled by Boris, Billy learned to pronounce alphabetic syllables from blocks hanging in his crib.
    5. At six months, Billy said, "Door." A couple months later he told Mom he liked things, doors and people, that move.
    6. At seven months he pointed to Earth's moon and called it, "moon." He wanted a 'moon' of his own.
    7. Mastered higher mathematics and planetary revolutions by age 11.
    8. Learned to spell efficiently by one year old.
    9. Started reading The New York Times at 18 months.
    10. Started typing at three. Used his high chair to reach a typewriter. First composed letter was an order for toys from Macy's.
    11. Read Caesar's Gallic Wars, in Latin (self-taught), as a birthday present to his Father in Billy's fourth year.
    12. Learned Greek alphabet and read Homer in Greek in his fourth year.
    13. Learned Aristotelian logic in his sixth year.
    14. At six, Billy learned Russian, French, German, and Hebrew, and soon after, Turkish and Armenian.
    15. Calculated mentally a day any date in history would fall at age six. Absolutely fascinated by calendars.
    16. Learned Gray's Anatomy at six. Could pass a student medical examination.
    17. Billy started grammar school at six, in 3 days 3rd grade, graduated grammar school in 7 months.
    18. At age 8, Billy surpassed his father (a genius) in mathematics.
    19. Corrected E. V. Huntington's mathematics text galleys at age of eight.
    20. Total recall of everything he read.
    21. Wrote four books between ages of four and eight. Two on anatomy and astronomy, lost.
    22. Passed Harvard Medical School anatomy exam at age seven.
    23. Passed MIT entrance exam at age eight.
    24. Intellect surpassed best secondary school teachers.
    25. At age 10, in one evening, corrected Harvard logic professor Josiah Royce's book manuscript: citing, "wrong paragraphs."
    26. Attempted to enroll in Harvard at nine.
    27. In 1909, became youngest student to ever enroll at Harvard at age 11.
    28. In 1910, at age 11, lectured Harvard Mathematical Club on 'Four-Dimensional Bodies.'
    29. Billy graduated from Harvard, cum laude, on June 24, 1914, at age 16.
    30. Billy entered Harvard Law School in 1916.
    31. Billy could learn a whole language in one day!
    32. Billy knew all the languages (approximately 200) of the world, and could translate among them instantly!

Here are a couple of links for the above references.

http://www.quantonics.com/The_Prodigy_Review.html

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi969.htm

10. How did his life get distroyed?

11. Destroyed, that is extremely fascinating.

12. Evo

You would have to read the book to fully understand what his parents put him through.

"William James Sidis was not the first nor last child wounded by parents trying to create a trophy. Others have lamented the creative productivity we lost when Sidis dropped out of society. What I grieve is all the joy that his well-honed mind should've given him -- all the joy that Sidis was never able to access."

13. Isn't Mensa the Universal IQ test?

Or is that just for those that speak English?

14. Evo

Mensa is a society.

15. Don't they administrate their own version of an IQ test?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2004
  16. Evo

I'm not sure if they have their own version or if it is a standard test.

17. RE: "6. At seven months he pointed to Earth's moon and called it, "moon." He wanted a 'moon' of his own. "

Hmmm... a baby born with an inate understanding of the English language. Sure, whatever.

18. To a more important point, there is no way of establishing the IQs of people once they reach adulthood. It is all just shoddy guesswork, and usually colored by political/sociological convictions.

19. selfAdjoint

selfAdjoint 8,147
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Self-referential?

20. Read the quote you posted? The quote indicates "at seven months" not that he was "born with an innate understanding of English ..."

21. I would be interested in seeing your source for that statement. Is there something from an .edu source (or other source generally thought of as credible) on the Internet that can be linked?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?