Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Highest paid EE specialization

1. Nov 2, 2013 #1
    I'm in my first 2nd year at uni, and I have to select my concentration branch of electrical engineering tomorrow.
    Here are the options available at my school:
    -Telecommunications
    -Automation and industrial command
    -Computer science
    -Medical electronics
    -Embedded systems for aerospace/avionics

I'd like the concentration that helps me get the most money, and more stability right out of college. I'd also be taking an internship soon, in an industry similar to what concentration ill be choosing.

Ideally, I'd like to work for a big company, make lots of money, and at the same time try to start a side company in electronic design for consumer products (e bikes, etc)

So, what do you think would be the best choice for me currently, in terms of selecting my concentration courses?
    Thanks

btw, I live in montreal

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2013 #2

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Personally I think Computer Science with basic knowledge of embedded hardware design offers the most opportunity for entrepreneurial innovation, but whether that is right for you is something only you can answer. I always say you need to follow your passions, and study something you will never tire of learning, because it will always try to change out from under you.

4. Nov 3, 2013 #3
    I think you have the wrong attitude. Generally you will be paid what you're worth to the company. You should aim to be the person to go to for answers in whatever company you work for. The key is which of those fields would you be interested in doing as a hobby, without pay? If you were going to start a company, in which of those fields would it be? That is the field you should choose.

5. Nov 3, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You will make more money as an actuary!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook