Fix About:blank Highjacker | Fast & Easy

• Thread starter hypatia
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for removing the about:blank hijacker virus. These methods include clearing cookies and temporary files, using Ad-aware for a quick scan, checking the registry and running processes for any suspicious items, and following a manual removal guide. Switching to Firefox or formatting the hard drive and installing Linux are also suggested as possible solutions. One participant expresses gratitude for the help provided.
hypatia
aagghhh does anyone know how to get rid of about:blank highjacker?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Could be any number of hijack viruses.

I always clear my cookies, temp files, empty the bin etc, and finish with a quick scan using Ad-aware.

Failing that I'd look in the registry under internet explorer main for anything dodgy, look at the running processes for anything not recognised and googalise it for unknown applications, and look in the C:, windows and systems32 folder for recent stuff.

hypatia said:
aagghhh does anyone know how to get rid of about:blank highjacker?
Switch to Firefox? :smile:

Thank you Perennial..that was of great help

1. What is the "About:blank" hijacker and how does it work?

The "About:blank" hijacker is a type of malware that can take control of your web browser and change your homepage to a blank page or a fake search engine. It often comes bundled with other software and can be difficult to remove. Once installed, it can track your browsing activity, display unwanted pop-up ads, and redirect you to malicious websites.

2. How do I know if my computer is infected with the "About:blank" hijacker?

If your web browser's homepage has suddenly changed to a blank page or a suspicious search engine, or if you are experiencing frequent pop-up ads and redirects, your computer may be infected with the "About:blank" hijacker. It is also a good idea to run a reputable anti-malware program to scan for any infections.

3. Can I remove the "About:blank" hijacker myself?

While it is possible to manually remove the "About:blank" hijacker, it can be a complex and time-consuming process. It is recommended to use a reputable anti-malware program to ensure all traces of the hijacker are removed and to prevent it from coming back.

4. How can I prevent my computer from getting infected with the "About:blank" hijacker?

To prevent the "About:blank" hijacker from infecting your computer, it is important to practice safe browsing habits. Avoid downloading software from untrustworthy websites, be cautious of clicking on suspicious links or pop-up ads, and keep your anti-malware software up to date.

5. Is there a way to restore my browser's settings after removing the "About:blank" hijacker?

Yes, most web browsers have a feature to reset their settings to default. This will remove any unwanted changes made by the "About:blank" hijacker and restore your homepage and search engine to their original settings. You may need to re-enable any browser extensions or add-ons that were disabled by the hijacker.