Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Highlander - The Source

1. Dec 27, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Without a doubt, the WORST movie I have ever seen. Has anyone else seen this? And if you did, why didn't you warn me not to watch it?

I loved Highlander the tv series. It was great. It had class.

This was an atrocity. It has ruined Highlander for me.

:frown:

:frown:

:cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2008 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Admit it, Evo. You liked Highlander the TV show because its star was a hunky guy.

4. Dec 27, 2008 #3
    Like most people, I gave up on the franchise after The Quickening. The problems started there.

5. Dec 27, 2008 #4

Evo

Adrian Paul is a polyglot. :!!)

He was in this movie and he could not save it.

6. Dec 27, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Too bad. I like the original movie. The TV series was... good.

My neighbor's family comes from that part of Scotland. As you can imagine, he is a huge fan of anything Highlander.

7. Dec 27, 2008 #6
    The movie series "jumped the shark" after the episode with Sean Connery- was that the quickening? After that it was all just mindless drivel. Making more of these movies is like making more Jason movies... but wait.. aghem...

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3531670297/

Like I was saying....

8. Dec 28, 2008 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A coworker made a great quote: "There should only have been one."

9. Dec 28, 2008 #8

Evo

I truly hope that you haven't seen this movie. If you haven't don't, it will destroy everything you enjoyed about it.

10. Dec 28, 2008 #9
    Well, I have seen it, and i would have warned you but... I was too busy proving why Kenny Loggins sucks. Highlander was actually next on my list, thats even easier to prove.

11. Dec 28, 2008 #10

russ_watters

I figured it would be common sense, otherwise I would have warned you. I mean seriously - 9 years after the series ended and you expect a movie on it to be watchable? What were you thinking?

[googling] The only good Highlander was the first movie. I didn't realize the series had been on so long -- 119 episodes? Yikes. If the soundtrack isn't Queen and the special effects pencil-sketch animations, I don't see how it can work. There can be only one. I mean seriously - after Kurgan, there couldn't possibly be anyone any tougher.

12. Dec 28, 2008 #11
    Did it finally end up being only one?

13. Dec 28, 2008 #12
  14. Dec 28, 2008 #13

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup Christopher Lambert (aka Connor MacLeod) played the part well..
    I've watched almost all of the movies.. Must have missed "The Source"
    Thanks for the warning!

~ in the end, there can be only one ~

15. Dec 28, 2008 #14

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I could never fathom the Highlander franchise. The story seemed to keep changing from sequel to sequel. The best one was the first and I've never seen any of the series.

16. Dec 28, 2008 #15

mheslep

Gold Member

I have something to say. Its better to burn out (with one movie), than to fade away (with many).
    [​IMG]

17. Dec 28, 2008 #16

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the original the Highlanders were immortal. Then in the sequel, I believe "The Quickening," the highlanders were people from a different planet. There are also several other blatant plot contradictions between the first and second films. Right then and there should have been the end of this franchise.

After that Highlander III blatantly contradicts the plots of both the second movie and the tv show. As wiki says, it acts like an alternative sequel to film #1.

EDIT: Just noticed that Highlander: The Source was a made for tv movie that made its debut on the SciFi channel in the U.S. That should have been your clue, Evo. Ironically, I don't think the SciFi channel has ever produced a good science fiction film.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  18. Dec 28, 2008 #17

Evo

Actually, it wasn't a made for tv movie for Sci fi channel. That's what they ended up selling because of the horrible reviews the film got.

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/highlander-the-source-2007-movie-review/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardian_(Highlander)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  19. Dec 28, 2008 #18

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

20. Dec 29, 2008 #19

Evo

I know, the stuff on there is very disappointing. There is more science fiction on the History Channel, like the Nostradamus 2012 show that they're airing. :surprised

21. Dec 30, 2008 #20
    I felt the same way. Big fan of the series. I would also say it was the worst movie I've ever seen. It's not even good in a 'so-bad-it's-funny' way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?