Highlander: The Source - A Horrible Surprise

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Source
In summary: was a made for tv movie that made its debut on the SciFi channel in the U.S. That should have been your clue, Evo. Ironically, I don't think the SciFi channel has ever produced a good science fiction film.All I know is that in the original the Highlanders were immortal. Then in the sequel, I believe "The Quickening," the highlanders were people from a different planet. There are also blatant plot contradictions between the first and second films. Right then and there should have been the end of this franchise.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Without a doubt, the WORST movie I have ever seen. Has anyone else seen this? And if you did, why didn't you warn me not to watch it?

I loved Highlander the tv series. It was great. It had class.

This was an atrocity. It has ruined Highlander for me.

:frown:

:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
It had class.
Admit it, Evo. You liked Highlander the TV show because its star was a hunky guy.

Like most people, I gave up on the franchise after The Quickening. The problems started there.

D H said:
Admit it, Evo. You liked Highlander the TV show because its star was a hunky guy.
Adrian Paul is a polyglot. :!)

He was in this movie and he could not save it.

Too bad. I like the original movie. The TV series was... good.

My neighbor's family comes from that part of Scotland. As you can imagine, he is a huge fan of anything Highlander.

The movie series "jumped the shark" after the episode with Sean Connery- was that the quickening? After that it was all just mindless drivel. Making more of these movies is like making more Jason movies... but wait.. aghem...

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3531670297/

Like I was saying...

A coworker made a great quote: "There should only have been one."

Hurkyl said:
A coworker made a great quote: "There should only have been one."
I truly hope that you haven't seen this movie. If you haven't don't, it will destroy everything you enjoyed about it.

Evo said:
Without a doubt, the WORST movie I have ever seen. Has anyone else seen this? And if you did, why didn't you warn me not to watch it?

Well, I have seen it, and i would have warned you but... I was too busy proving why Kenny Loggins sucks. Highlander was actually next on my list, that's even easier to prove.

Evo said:

I figured it would be common sense, otherwise I would have warned you. I mean seriously - 9 years after the series ended and you expect a movie on it to be watchable? What were you thinking?

[googling] The only good Highlander was the first movie. I didn't realize the series had been on so long -- 119 episodes? Yikes. If the soundtrack isn't Queen and the special effects pencil-sketch animations, I don't see how it can work. There can be only one. I mean seriously - after Kurgan, there couldn't possibly be anyone any tougher.

Did it finally end up being only one?

Yup Christopher Lambert (aka Connor MacLeod) played the part well..
I've watched almost all of the movies.. Must have missed "The Source"
Thanks for the warning!

~ in the end, there can be only one ~

I could never fathom the Highlander franchise. The story seemed to keep changing from sequel to sequel. The best one was the first and I've never seen any of the series.

russ_watters said:
... I mean seriously - after Kurgan, there couldn't possibly be anyone any tougher.
I have something to say. Its better to burn out (with one movie), than to fade away (with many).
http://www.nerf-herders-anonymous.net/images/ClancyBrown_Highlander.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Kurdt said:
I could never fathom the Highlander franchise. The story seemed to keep changing from sequel to sequel. The best one was the first and I've never seen any of the series.

In the original the Highlanders were immortal. Then in the sequel, I believe "The Quickening," the highlanders were people from a different planet. There are also several other blatant plot contradictions between the first and second films. Right then and there should have been the end of this franchise.After that Highlander III blatantly contradicts the plots of both the second movie and the tv show. As wiki says, it acts like an alternative sequel to film #1.

EDIT: Just noticed that Highlander: The Source was a made for tv movie that made its debut on the SciFi channel in the U.S. That should have been your clue, Evo. Ironically, I don't think the SciFi channel has ever produced a good science fiction film.

Last edited:
G01 said:
All I know is that in the original the Highlanders were immortal. Then in the sequel, I believe "The Quickening," the highlanders were people from a different planet. There are also blatant plot contradictions between the first and second films. Right then and there should have been the end of this franchise.

After that Highlander III blatantly contradicts the plots of both the second movie and the tv show. As wiki says, it acts like an alternative sequel to film #1.

EDIT: Just noticed that Highlander: The Source was a made for tv movie that made its debut on the SciFi channel in the U.S. That should have been your clue, Evo. Ironically, I don't think the SciFi channel has ever produced a good science fiction film.
Actually, it wasn't a made for tv movie for Sci fi channel. That's what they ended up selling because of the horrible reviews the film got.

If you thought “Highlander 2: The Quickening” was astounding in its ability to be utterly incoherent and incomprehensible, wait until you get a load of “Highlander: The Source”, the fifth installment in the neverending franchise about immortal swordsmen determined to take each other’s heads so that the last man standing may become “the one”. Of course “the one” was supposed to have emerged at the end of 1986’s “Highlander”, with Christopher Lambert’s Connor Macleod bestowed the title. Supposedly. That was before the box office receipts came in. Enter 1991’s “Highlander 2: The Quickening”, where all that had come before was discarded in favor of a convoluted theory that posited the Immortals as having actually hailed from another planet, and given their immortality thanks to some form of punishment. I kid you not.

“Highlander: The Source” makes “The Quickening” look like a work of sheer genius. Yes, it is that bad. And yes, it will quickly put an end to “Highlander” as a viable franchise, because there will be no new fans generated from this latest installment, and it’s open to debate if even the hardcore fans will not jump ship.

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/highlander-the-source-2007-movie-review/

Lionsgate originally planned to release the film in 2006.[5] When that plan didn't work out, several release dates were listed in various places; for example, February 2007 was listed in some official The Source auctions, as well as on actress Thekla Reuten's own website, and March 2007 was listed on composer George Kallis' website. Eventually, even the official auctions began using simply a broad "First Quarter 2007" release date. As of February 14, 2007, producers Peter Davis and Bill Panzer of Davis/Panzer Productions, in conjunction with Lionsgate Entertainment, were editing and remixing the film.

Lionsgate finally released the film as a direct-to-TV movie, which premiered on the Sci-Fi Channel on September 15, 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardian_(Highlander [Broken])

Evo said:
Actually, it wasn't a made for tv movie for Sci fi channel. That's what they ended up selling because of the horrible reviews the film got.

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/highlander-the-source-2007-movie-review/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardian_(Highlander [Broken])

Well, either way, it seems the Sci Fi channel doesn't really give a crap about quality sci fi. That channel went down hill very fast once they canceled First Wave.

G01 said:
Well, either way, it seems the Sci Fi channel doesn't really give a crap about quality sci fi. That channel went down hill very fast once they canceled First Wave.
I know, the stuff on there is very disappointing. There is more science fiction on the History Channel, like the Nostradamus 2012 show that they're airing.

Evo said:

I felt the same way. Big fan of the series. I would also say it was the worst movie I've ever seen. It's not even good in a 'so-bad-it's-funny' way.

Evo said:

Thanks for the warning. I was excited to see a Highlander marathon (although they could have chosen better episodes) and the first I've heard about Highlander: The Source. I recorded them all since I didn't want to sit there and watch them all day!
But thanks, I will be deleting The Source. I loved the first movie and the entire series. The movie sequels and series spinoff ("raven") sucked.

You do not want to watch The Source. I wish I could turn back time and erase that from my memory. Watch the good ones and enjoy.

I agree The Raven sucked.

the core is the worst movie ever (to a scientifically minded person). it was so bad and implausible that i couldn't stop watching it and making fun of EVERYTHING. it was like crack to me... very torturous crack

WARNING!

Highlander - The Source is on tonight on the Sci-Fi Channel as part of a Highlander marathon.

Do NOT, I repeat do NOT watch this show. If you are a Highlander fan, it will ruin the entire series for you.

If you watch it, well, don't say you weren't warned.

When I was in South Germany working on a higher hill, our -now closed station- , had the nick name "Highlander". So I'm a bit ..erm..involved.

Evo said:
WARNING!

Highlander - The Source is on tonight on the Sci-Fi Channel as part of a Highlander marathon.

Do NOT, I repeat do NOT watch this show. If you are a Highlander fan, it will ruin the entire series for you.

If you watch it, well, don't say you weren't warned.

Another marathon? I hope they show the later episodes (post-Tessa).

1. What is "Highlander: The Source - A Horrible Surprise" about?

"Highlander: The Source - A Horrible Surprise" is a science fiction movie that follows the story of immortal beings known as Highlanders who are searching for the source of their immortality.

2. Is this movie based on a book or other source material?

No, "Highlander: The Source - A Horrible Surprise" is an original movie and not based on any pre-existing source material.

3. Who are the main characters in "Highlander: The Source - A Horrible Surprise"?

The main characters in this movie are Duncan MacLeod, the protagonist and a Highlander, and Anna Teshemka, a mortal woman who becomes involved in the Highlander's quest for the source.

4. Is this movie part of a series or franchise?

Yes, "Highlander: The Source - A Horrible Surprise" is the fifth installment in the "Highlander" franchise, which includes movies, TV shows, and books.

5. Can this movie be watched without seeing the previous installments?

While it is recommended to watch the previous installments to fully understand the story and characters, "Highlander: The Source - A Horrible Surprise" can still be enjoyed as a standalone movie.