Highpass Filter Selection for Blocking 60 Hz & Beyond

• Thread starter m718
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filter
In summary, the conversation discusses different types of highpass filters and their capabilities in blocking the 60 Hz frequency. The use of notch filters is ruled out and the suggestion of using two Butterworth filters is proposed. The issue of the 60 Hz frequency still being present despite the use of notch filters is also brought up.
m718
Which type of highpass filter attenuates best?
I want to block 60 hz but its ok if there's some attenuation up to 250 hz.
I can't use notch filter.

Engineering news on Phys.org
m718 said:
Which type of highpass filter attenuates best?
I want to block 60 hz but its ok if there's some attenuation up to 250 hz.
I can't use notch filter.

Depends on what you mean by "best". What are the constraints on your filter? What order filter? Passive or active? Gain tolerance in the passband? Tolerance on the corner frequency?

You could use two Butterworth filters, highpass and lowpass (the order depends on you constraints as berkeman said) and choose their cutoff frequencies such that the 60 Hz frequency is blocked.

I made three different notch filters to block 60 hz from pickup coil that goes to a single opamp amplifier, I put the filter before the amplifier and it doesn't blockout 60 hz, it just attenuates all frequencies about 10%. why is this happening?

m718 said:
I made three different notch filters to block 60 hz from pickup coil that goes to a single opamp amplifier, I put the filter before the amplifier and it doesn't blockout 60 hz, it just attenuates all frequencies about 10%. why is this happening?

Please post a schematic if you can. Also, maybe the 60Hz pickup is getting into the circuit some other way?

1. What is a highpass filter and how does it work?

A highpass filter is an electronic circuit that allows high-frequency signals to pass through while blocking low-frequency signals. It works by attenuating, or reducing, the amplitude of signals below a certain cutoff frequency while allowing signals above that frequency to pass through.

2. Why is it important to block 60 Hz and beyond?

60 Hz is the standard frequency used in electrical power systems, and it can introduce noise into electronic circuits. Beyond 60 Hz, there may also be other sources of noise and interference that can affect the performance of electronic devices. Therefore, it is important to block these frequencies to maintain signal integrity.

3. How do you select the right highpass filter for a specific application?

The most important factor in selecting a highpass filter is the cutoff frequency. This is the frequency at which the filter starts to attenuate signals. You should choose a cutoff frequency that is slightly lower than the lowest frequency you want to pass through the filter. Other factors to consider include the filter's roll-off rate, input/output impedance, and power handling capabilities.

4. Can I use a highpass filter to eliminate all unwanted frequencies?

No, a highpass filter can only attenuate frequencies below its cutoff frequency. It cannot completely eliminate all unwanted frequencies. Additionally, highpass filters have a limited range of frequencies that they can effectively block, so they may not be suitable for all applications.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a highpass filter?

One potential drawback of using a highpass filter is that it may introduce phase shifts in the signal. This can affect the timing and synchronization of different signals in a circuit. Additionally, highpass filters may also introduce some distortion or noise in the signal, depending on the type and quality of the filter used.