How can you determine the products in redox reactions in high school chemistry?

In summary, the student is currently studying redox in chemistry and is enjoying it. However, he is confused about one section of the course and would appreciate an explanation in simple chemistry terms that he can understand.
whitestrat69
im currently studying redox in chemistry and I am really enjoying it so far.
I am just a little bit confused about one section of it, that is that i cannot understand how to work out the product in the 1/2 equations ..

e.g Fe2+ forms Fe3+.. but why does it form this.. i know iron is a reducing agent, and it gets oxidized and loses an electron.
but other 1/2 equations confuse me, can anyone please explain this to me in simple chemistry terms that i can understand.. i would really appreciate it,

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
one ion or material must act as a reducing agent to donate electrons and another material or ion must act as an "oxidizing" agent to accept electrons. The reducing agent goes through a half reaction and the oxidizing agent goes through the other half reaction.

half ionic equations are just a simple breakdown of the actual redox reaction because redox involves two processes: oxidationa nd reduction. one species will be oxidised and the other will be reduced.

you should kno the trends...i mean...like metals are reducing agents, metal ions are oxidising agents, halogens are oxidising agents, halide ions are reducing agents. then it'll be easier to identify which species will be reduced or oxidised. all this requires practice.

for example iron has a max oxidation number of +3. so, Fe2+, will be oxidised to attain the highest oxidation state, i.e. Fe3+.

but you will know al the redox products as you get along with your course.

like managnate(VII) will be reduced to Manganese ion(Mn2+). or dichromate(VI) will be reduced to chromium (III) ion.

there will also be exceptions also...like thiosulphate can be oxidised to sulphate ion by Cl2 or oxidised to tetrathionate ion by I2.

this is not at all complicated...it'll be coming gradually...

i'm doing my A level in chemistry and it is only recently that i understood that...i mean that i kno at a certain extent which products will be obtained,,,

CHEMISTRY IS FUN

1. What is redox in high school chemistry?

Redox, short for reduction-oxidation, is a fundamental concept in high school chemistry that involves the transfer of electrons between atoms. It is an important process in many chemical reactions and is used to explain the behavior of elements and compounds in various environments.

2. What are the different types of redox reactions?

There are two main types of redox reactions: oxidation reactions and reduction reactions. In oxidation reactions, an atom loses electrons and becomes more positively charged. In reduction reactions, an atom gains electrons and becomes more negatively charged.

3. How do you balance a redox equation?

To balance a redox equation, you need to make sure that the number of atoms on both sides of the equation is the same, as well as the total charge. This can be done by adding coefficients and adjusting the number of electrons transferred in the half-reactions.

4. What is the importance of redox reactions in everyday life?

Redox reactions play a vital role in everyday life, from the process of photosynthesis in plants to the metabolism of food in our bodies. They are also used in batteries, corrosion prevention, and water treatment. Understanding redox reactions can help us better understand the world around us and make informed decisions about our environment.

5. How can I apply redox concepts to real-world problems?

Redox concepts can be applied to real-world problems by using them to understand and analyze chemical reactions and their effects. For example, understanding redox reactions can help us predict the behavior of certain substances and design new materials for various applications. It can also be used to understand and solve environmental issues, such as pollution and climate change.