Highschool physics problem

• Thread starter kimkibun
  • Start date

Homework Statement

2 beakers of water, A and B, initially are at the same temperature. the temperature of the water in A is increased 15°F while at B it increased 15°K. after these temperature changes, which beaker of water has the higher temperature and by how much in °C?

Homework Equations

I will use the following conversion formulas for °C

°C=(°F-32)/1.8 (i)

°C=°K-273 (ii)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my solution, I'm going to convert the temperature of water beaker A to °C using (i) and for beaker B i will use (ii). is my solution correct?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Answers and Replies

PeterO
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

2 beakers of water, A and B, initially are at the same temperature. the temperature of the water in A is increased 15°F while at B it increased 15°K. after these temperature changes, which beaker of water has the higher temperature and by how much in °C?

Homework Equations

I will use the following conversion formulas for °C

°C=(°F-32)/1.8 (i)

°C=°K-273 (ii)

Here's my solution, I'm going to convert the temperature of water beaker A to °C using (i) and for beaker B i will use (ii). is my solution correct?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The idea of converting the temperatures to Celcius is admirable, but you don't know either temperature, only by how much they changed.

I don't think there is a suggestion that one beaker starts at 15°F while the other starts at 15°K.

Perhaps they both started at 20°C - because they did start at the same temperature.

The idea of converting the temperatures to Celcius is admirable, but you don't know either temperature, only by how much they changed.

I don't think there is a suggestion that one beaker starts at 15°F while the other starts at 15°K.

Perhaps they both started at 20°C - because they did start at the same temperature.

thanks for the reply sir! i think, knowing the initial temperature of two beakers is not necessary since what we need to compare is their temperature (in °C) after the said changes.

PeterO
Homework Helper
thanks for the reply sir! i think, knowing the initial temperature of two beakers is not necessary since what we need to compare is their temperature (in °C) after the said changes.

That is correct, but you were quoting formulas for converting actual temperatures, not converting changes in temperature.

Last edited: