1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Highschool physics problem

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2 beakers of water, A and B, initially are at the same temperature. the temperature of the water in A is increased 15°F while at B it increased 15°K. after these temperature changes, which beaker of water has the higher temperature and by how much in °C?

2. Relevant equations

I will use the following conversion formulas for °C

°C=(°F-32)/1.8 (i)

°C=°K-273 (ii)

3. The attempt at a solution

Here's my solution, I'm going to convert the temperature of water beaker A to °C using (i) and for beaker B i will use (ii). is my solution correct?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

The idea of converting the temperatures to Celcius is admirable, but you don't know either temperature, only by how much they changed.

I don't think there is a suggestion that one beaker starts at 15°F while the other starts at 15°K.

Perhaps they both started at 20°C - because they did start at the same temperature.

4. Apr 18, 2012 #3
    thanks for the reply sir! i think, knowing the initial temperature of two beakers is not necessary since what we need to compare is their temperature (in °C) after the said changes.

5. Apr 18, 2012 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

That is correct, but you were quoting formulas for converting actual temperatures, not converting changes in temperature.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook