Highschooler Needs Help with Vector Addition: Solving for B and C

• Thread starter kooaznboi1088
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses a problem with vectors and finding the values of B and C when added to vector A result in a sum of zero. The individual components of the vectors are broken down and equations are formed to solve for B and C. The final answer is B=5548.6 and C=6158.
kooaznboi1088
Hey I have this question about vectors that I can't solve. Can someone explain it to me?

Vector A is 1550 25 degrees North of East. Vector B is 41 East of South. Vector C was 35 North of West. A+B+C=0. Find B and C.

Physics news on Phys.org
break your vectors into components when you add up your X and Y components (SEPARATELY) of all teh vectors you should get zero.

Thats the problem I got

1550sin 25 +Ysin 35-xsin49=1550cos25-Ycos35+Xcos49

but I get like 5000 and 6000 for values of X and Y...

who are X and Y. Can you use B and C like you use in your question please

also you haven't got ALL the signs correct.
Assume a specific coordinate system with either up or down to be positive and left or right to be positive

sorry, I am just too used to using X and Y, Ok B and C it is.
Assuming Up and Right is Positive and Left and Down is negative.
Vector A, being 25 N of E, would be in the 1st quadrant and so both its components are positive.
Vector B woudl be in the 4th quadrant. So its Y values would be negative and X values would be positive.
vector C woudl be in the 2nd quadrant so its X compment woudl be negative and Y component woudl be positive.

1550sin 25 + Csin 35- Bsin49=1550cos25 - Ccos35 + Bcos49=0

ok now you can get two equations from that equality... solve or B and C like simulatenous equations

Your answers have to be right... if you do the math correctly

no i get B=5548.6 and C=6158

do es any1 get a different results when doing the math? I like triple checkd this

1. How can I improve my grades in high school?

There are several ways to improve your grades in high school. First, make sure you attend all of your classes and pay attention during lectures. Take thorough notes and review them regularly. Second, develop good study habits and set aside dedicated time each day to review material and complete assignments. Third, seek help from your teachers or a tutor if you are struggling with a particular subject. Finally, make sure you are getting enough rest and taking care of your physical and mental health, as this can greatly impact your academic performance.

2. How can I manage my time effectively in high school?

Time management is an important skill to develop in high school. One tip is to create a schedule or to-do list to help you prioritize tasks and stay organized. Another tip is to break larger tasks or projects into smaller, more manageable chunks. Also, try to eliminate distractions and focus on one task at a time. Finally, make sure to schedule in breaks and leisure time to avoid burnout.

3. How can I prepare for college while in high school?

Preparing for college while in high school can greatly benefit you in the long run. One way to do this is to take challenging classes, such as Advanced Placement or Dual Enrollment courses. Another way is to get involved in extracurricular activities that align with your interests and potential future career goals. Additionally, start thinking about potential colleges and universities you may be interested in and research their admissions requirements.

4. How can I balance school work and extracurricular activities?

Balancing school work and extracurricular activities can be challenging, but it is important to find a healthy balance. One tip is to prioritize your commitments and make sure to set aside time for both academics and extracurriculars. It may also be helpful to communicate with your teachers and coaches about any conflicts or challenges you may be facing. Additionally, make sure to take breaks and not overcommit yourself.

5. How can I manage stress and avoid burnout in high school?

High school can be a stressful time, but it is important to take care of your mental and emotional well-being. One way to manage stress is to practice self-care, such as exercising, getting enough sleep, and engaging in activities you enjoy. It may also be helpful to talk to a trusted friend, family member, or counselor about your feelings. Finally, try to maintain a positive attitude and keep things in perspective, as high school is just one part of your life journey.