1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Highway Curves

1. Aug 23, 2005 #1
    I'm having a real problem trying to work out this question:

A crate of eggs is located in the middle of the flatbed of a pickup truck. The truck is negotiating a curve in the road that may be considered as an arc of a circle of radius 35 m. if the coefficient of static friction between the flatbed and the crate is 0.66, with what maximum speed the truck can negotiate the curve if the crate is not to slide out during cornering?

Can anyone help me?

PhysicsDud :eek:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Aug 24, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'll help you start off. Since the truck is making a uniform circular potion, the centripetal acceleration is v²/r, meaning the road exerts a force mv²/r on the truck. This triggers the static friction force between the flatbed and the crate.
  5. Aug 24, 2005 #4
    a(c) = v^2/r = v^2/35

You want to find the maximum 'acceleration' your friction can give you, and set it equal to that centripetal acceleration to find the corresponding velocity.

Mu=Friction Force/Normal Force

Now back to original.

v=15 m/s
  6. Aug 24, 2005 #5
    Read the policies of the site, do not post solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?