Funny Music Video: "I Want a Robot" | Must Watch!

In summary: I think that is a true statement for this issue. If intelligent design is true the truth will eventually come out through the science. I think the film has a viewpoint that has the right to be heard.”
LightbulbSun
Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
No one else found it funny?

Haha, nice. I thought it was pretty funny myself :biggrin: I love it when they mix rap and science, it's awesome!

Creationist propaganda! I would laugh if I didn't think this was not a laughing matter...sadly.

Gokul43201 said:
Creationist propaganda! I would laugh if I didn't think this was not a laughing matter...sadly.

How so? Even if it is, they failed miserably as it comes off looking more pro-science than anything else.

LightbulbSun said:
How so? Even if it is, they failed miserably as it comes off looking more pro-science than anything else.

I was thinking that myself until I started to notice the symbols. The Ichthys, the robot (Dawkins machine), ect.

B. Elliott said:
I was thinking that myself until I started to notice the symbols. The Ichthys, the robot (Dawkins machine), ect.

No, look more carefully. Its really a fish with feet via evolution.

That's hilarious.
Check out "MC Hawking" particularly the "Entropy" song. I'd link a video but it has explicit content.

Cyrus said:
No, look more carefully. Its really a fish with feet via evolution.

You're right... that's it. I'm getting glasses.

LightbulbSun said:
A scientist looks through a microscope and asserts that he is seeing something that is evidence against evolution, and he is thrown out of his lab? ...And has "Expe11ed" stamped on his forehead? Eugenie Scott in a bikini, rubbing her belly?

It appears you've completely missed the point of the video.

"He is also involved with a heavy metal group called Dark Matter." :rofl: I can't believe I've never heard of this before.

Gokul43201 said:
A scientist looks through a microscope and asserts that he is seeing something that is evidence against evolution, and he is thrown out of his lab? ...And has "Expe11ed" stamped on his forehead? Eugenie Scott in a bikini, rubbing her belly?

It appears you've completely missed the point of the video.

Irony anyone?
"MC Hawking" is portraid as a gun totting, malt liquor swilling, gangsta rapper shooting "those punk a** b****s from MIT" but I seriously doubt they are being anti Stephen Hawking.

I found it more confusing and conflicting than funny, but that's just me.

edit... there seems to be some more information about the video and its origins here: http://bloggasm.com/mocking-the-mockers-the-ambiguity-of-a-youtube-video [Broken]

edit... misread that

Last edited by a moderator:
TheStatutoryApe said:
Irony anyone?
"MC Hawking" is portraid as a gun totting, malt liquor swilling, gangsta rapper shooting "those punk a** b****s from MIT" but I seriously doubt they are being anti Stephen Hawking.
That would take a double layer of irony. There's already a layer of irony involved in portraying Dawkins as talking about how smart the PhDs are, as opposed to the creationists.

In any case, the link posted above vindicates my opinion.
“Originally it was a six minute piece to be used within the film Expelled,” he told me. “It told the story of the ‘rise of the Machine’ (darwinism)."

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
In any case, the link posted above vindicates my opinion.

I tried to get a reading on Edmondson’s leanings on this matter, asking him if he was sympathetic to Expelled’s cause. “The video wasn’t just meant to be funny. I think it has something to say,” he replied. “It was meant to spark debate and bring attention to the issue…What I meant was that the animation was not intended to convince people of anything. I hope no one over five years old learns really important things about the world through the song and dance of cartoon characters. In the second video there appears the text ‘In Vitro Vertas.’ It means ‘the truth is in the test tube.’ I think that is a true statement for this issue. If intelligent design is true the truth will eventually come out through the science. I think the film has a viewpoint that has the right to be heard.”
The creator is apparently on the fence.

Either way, it was a horrible marketing tool for them because I find it hilarious, and so do many atheists.

LightbulbSun said:
Either way, it was a horrible marketing tool for them because I find it hilarious, and so do many atheists.
Actually the ability to catch the attention of people inside and outside of your primary target audience is generally considered good marketing. ;-)
It's quite ingenious in my opinion.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Actually the ability to catch the attention of people inside and outside of your primary target audience is generally considered good marketing. ;-)

Dually. Reading the Youtube remarks gives a bit of entertainment.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I tried to get a reading on Edmondson’s leanings on this matter, asking him if he was sympathetic to Expelled’s cause. “The video wasn’t just meant to be funny. I think it has something to say,” he replied. “It was meant to spark debate and bring attention to the issue… It means ‘the truth is in the test tube.’ I think that is a true statement for this issue. If intelligent design is true the truth will eventually come out through the science. I think the film has a viewpoint that has the right to be heard.”
The creator is apparently on the fence.
1. Anyone that wants to bring more publicity to ID is, in my opinion, at the very least misguided, but still a part of the ID propaganda machine. Publicity is a huge issue for the ID folk - this is stated clearly in the Wedge Strategy (phase II)

2. The truth in the test tube idea is exactly the point of ID itself (phase I of the wedge strategy) and is explicitly the point of the Expelled movie too (have you watched it?). These people want to use "science" to "prove" their design argument.

TheStatutoryApe said:

Yes, but it was meant as a viral promotion against science and evolution. That is where they failed miserably.

LightbulbSun said:
Yes, but it was meant as a viral promotion against science and evolution. That is where they failed miserably.

It's promoting a movie, not necessarily the case of the movie. I'm sure all of the conservative pundits and politicians talking about movies like "An Inconvienient Truth" and "Fahrenheit 9/11" helped the movies more than hurting them. More people hear about it, more people see it, more money and more exposure. Maybe atheists will watch it or atheists will tell their religious friends about it. Maybe IDers who see atheists talking about it on some internet forum somewhere will decide to see it. It doesn't matter who's is talking about it so long as people who might watch it hear about it. How can you say a marketing tool failed miserably when all sorts of people everywhere are talking about it?

TheStatutoryApe said:
It's promoting a movie, not necessarily the case of the movie. I'm sure all of the conservative pundits and politicians talking about movies like "An Inconvienient Truth" and "Fahrenheit 9/11" helped the movies more than hurting them. More people hear about it, more people see it, more money and more exposure. Maybe atheists will watch it or atheists will tell their religious friends about it. Maybe IDers who see atheists talking about it on some internet forum somewhere will decide to see it. It doesn't matter who's is talking about it so long as people who might watch it hear about it. How can you say a marketing tool failed miserably when all sorts of people everywhere are talking about it?

Because the more people see it, the more they'll realize how full of **** the movie is. Therefore, giving creationism/ID a bad name.

1. What is the concept behind the music video for "I Want a Robot"?

The concept of the music video is to humorously depict a person's desire for a robot companion and the struggles they face in trying to make it a reality.

2. Who created the music video for "I Want a Robot"?

The music video was created by a team of writers, directors, and animators at the production company XYZ.

3. How long did it take to produce the music video?

The production process for the music video took approximately 6 months from concept development to final editing.

4. What inspired the creators to make this music video?

The creators were inspired by the growing trend of people wanting to have robots as companions and the potential implications of this desire.

5. What message does the music video convey?

The music video conveys a comical cautionary tale about the dangers of becoming too dependent on technology and the importance of human connections.