1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hilbert-Schmidt Operators

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let K be a Hilbert-Schmidt kernel which is real and symmetric. Then, as we saw, the
    operator T whose kernel is K is compact and symmetric. Let [tex]\varphi_k(x)[/tex] be the eigenvectors (with eigenvalues [tex]\lambda_k[/tex]) that diagonalize T . Then:

a. [tex]K(x,y) \sim \sum_k \lambda_k \varphi_k(x) \varphi_k(y)[/tex] is the expansion of K in the basis [tex]\{ \varphi_{k,j} \}[/tex], and

b. Suppose T is a compact operator which is symmetric. Then T is of Hilbert-Schmidt type if and only if [tex]\sum_k |\lambda_k|^2 < +\infty[/tex], where [tex]\{ \lambda_k \}[/tex] are the eigenvalues of T counted according to their multiplicities.

2. Relevant equations

A Hilbert-Schmidt operator is an operator of the form [tex]T(f)(x) = \int_{\mathbb{R}^d} K(x,y) f(y) dy[/tex], where K(x,y) is in [tex]L^2(\mathbb{R}^d)[/tex].

An earlier problem that I have already done was prove that given [tex]\{\varphi_k\}_{k=1}^{\infty}[/tex] as an orthonormal basis for [tex]L^2(\mathbb{R}^d)[/tex], the set [tex]\{ \varphi_{k,j} \}[/tex], where [tex]\varphi_{k,j}(x,y):=\varphi_k(x) \varphi_j(y)[/tex], is an orthonormal basis for [tex]L^2(\mathbb{R}^d \times \mathbb{R}^d)[/tex].

Diagonalize in this context means the eigenvectors of the compact operator T which serves as a basis for [tex]L^2(\mathbb{R}^d)[/tex], whose existence is guaranteed by the spectral theorem.

Symmetric here means self-adjoint.

3. The attempt at a solution

There was a previous part of the problem which I've already solved which was that [tex]\sum_k |\lambda_k|^2 < +\infty[/tex]. Therefore, I've got half of the solution to part c. However, I'm not sure how to prove either of the statements, nor can I even find a way to proceed.

What should be the biggest step for part a. would be to write [tex]\int K(x,y) \varphi_k(y) dy = \lambda_k \varphi_k(x)\, \forall x\in \mathbb{R}^d[/tex], and to somehow extract K(x,y) out of this. However, I don't see how one could do this... it's rather attached to the integral, and I don't know any more expressions in which to start out with K.

As I said, I'm really not sure how to proceed on either of these. I would really appreciate a clue to get me started though. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2
    Ok, so I think I proved c. It is:

[tex] \| K \|_{L^2}^2 = \int |K(x,y)|^2 dxdy = \int | \sum_k \lambda_k \varphi_k(x) \varphi_k(y)|^2 dxdx \le \int \sum_k |\lambda_k|^2 |\varphi_k(x)|^2 |\varphi_k(y)|^2 dx dy = \sum_k |\lambda_k|^2 \int |\varphi_k(x)|^2 |\varphi_k(y)|^2 dxdx =[/tex]

[tex]\sum_k |\lambda_k|^2 \cdot \left( \int |\varphi_k(x)|^2 dx \right) \cdot \left( \int |\varphi_k(y)|^2 dy \right) = \sum_k |\lambda_k|^2[/tex]. Therefore, as long as [tex]\sum_k |\lambda_k|^2 < +\infty[/tex], we must have [tex]\| K \| < +\infty[/tex], which implies that [tex]K\in L^2(\mathbb{R}^d \times \mathbb{R}^d)[/tex].

I'm still stumped on a., though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook