Hilbert space and eigenvalues

In summary, a Hilbert space is a complete inner product space and is often used to describe quantum states. A valid quantum operator must have a real eigenvalue. It is recommended to start with an introductory linear algebra book before studying thermal and statistical physics. Strang's book is a popular choice, but other options such as Bamberg and Sternberg's book are also available.
orthovector
can somebody explain eigenvalues inside hilbert spaces??

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I suppose I don't understand your question. A Hilbert space is an inner product space in which all Cauchy sequences converge (which is really just a pedantic/rigorous way of saying that it is complete). In physics we often say that quantum states "live" in a hilbert space (although to be accurate it's actually a 'rigged' Hilbert space since plane waves and dirac delta functions are not in a Hilbert space). A valid quantum operator must be an eigenvector of a quantum state with a real eigenvalue. If none of this means anything to you then I'd say to get yourself a good linear algebra book. (If you have no idea what linear algebra is I'd say wherever you read about Hilbert spaces and eigenvalues is probably way too advanced and I'd suggest starting with a more introductory book)

do you think the strang linear algebra book is the right intoductory linear algebra book?

also, when should I begin my studies on thermal and statistical physics? BEFORE OR AFTER quantum mechanics and linear algebra??

how about the reif thermal and statistical physics book?

orthovector said:
do you think the strang linear algebra book is the right intoductory linear algebra book?

also, when should I begin my studies on thermal and statistical physics? BEFORE OR AFTER quantum mechanics and linear algebra??

It's never too soon to study linear algebra. I have a vague recollection that Galileo said that if he had his life to live over again, he would first have become a mathematician.

Strang's book is one of the standards. I have not read it, but I'm told that it emphasizes computation and the ability to solve problems numerically. Personally, I'm fond of the book by Bamberg and Sternberg, even though it's a little tough for self-study.

1. What is a Hilbert space?

A Hilbert space is a mathematical concept that represents an infinite-dimensional vector space, where vectors can have any number of components. It is named after the German mathematician David Hilbert and is used in various areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. How are Hilbert spaces used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, Hilbert spaces are used to represent the state of a quantum system, which can have an infinite number of possible states. The eigenstates of a quantum system, which represent the possible values of an observable, are also elements of a Hilbert space.

3. What are eigenvalues in Hilbert spaces?

Eigenvalues are numerical values that are associated with eigenstates in a Hilbert space. They represent the possible values that an observable can take in a quantum system. The eigenvalues of an observable correspond to the different energy levels of the system.

4. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors related in Hilbert spaces?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are closely related in Hilbert spaces. An eigenvector is a vector in a Hilbert space that remains unchanged, up to a scaling factor, when multiplied by a linear operator. The corresponding eigenvalue is the factor by which the eigenvector is scaled.

5. Can Hilbert spaces be visualized?

Unlike finite-dimensional vector spaces, Hilbert spaces cannot be visualized in the traditional sense since they have an infinite number of dimensions. However, they can be represented and studied using mathematical tools and techniques, such as basis vectors and inner product spaces.