1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hilbert Space

1. Oct 7, 2006 #1
    Fact 1: we know that a closed subspace of a Hilbert Space is also a Hilbert Space.

Fact 2: we know that the Sobolev Space [tex]H^{1}[/tex] is a Hlbert space.

How do I show that the space [tex]V:=\{v \in H^{1}, v(1) = 0\}[/tex] is a Hilbert space?

Is V automatically a closed subspace of [tex]H^{1}[/tex]? How do I show this? cause I can't see how it is so.

Alternatively, is there a way to prove that the space [tex]V:=\{v \in H^{1}, v(1) = 0\}[/tex] is a Hilbert space, without using facts 1 and 2? that is how do I show that V is complete? (it is automatically an inner product space because it is in [tex]H^{1}[/tex]).

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Show the function H_1->R given by evalutation at a point is continuous. Then the preimage of a point, which is a closed set, must be closed.

4. Oct 8, 2006 #3
    thanks for the reply StatusX...

how about for the space [tex]V:= \{v \in H^{1}, v(0) = v(1) \}[/tex]?
    How do I prove that this is a Hilbert Space?...more specifically, how do I prove that this is a closed subspace of [tex]H^{1}[/tex]?

thanks again.

5. Oct 8, 2006 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you understand post 2, you can do this question. He asked you to find a function H1 to R with some certain properties. Try explicitly writing down a function with those properties.

6. Oct 8, 2006 #5
    okay, lets see if I understood this correctly...

for the first one, I have to find a function that maps from H1 to v(1) (which is equal to 0 and hence is in R).

For the second, I have to find a function that maps from H1 to v(0) - v(1) (which is also equal to 0 and hence is in R).

And since 0 is a closed set, its preimage, which is in H1, is also a closed set, and therefore also a Hilbert Space.

is this correct?

also, do I have to specifically define a function, like f(x) = something.... where x is in H1?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  7. Oct 8, 2006 #6

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That doesn't really make sense.
    You should, yes.

And prove the functions you find are continuous, otherwise you can't argue that the preimages are closed.

0 is not a closed set, it's not even a set. {0} is, however.

And just in case it matters (I don't know): it doesn't have to map into R, it can map into any T1 space, hence into any Hausdorff space.

8. Oct 8, 2006 #7
    if my understanding is correct, isn't the [tex]l^{2}[/tex] space a space of measurable functions (and hence the [tex]h^{1}[/tex] space also a space of measruable functions).

My confusion lies is this: I have to find a function that maps the space of measurable function (h1) to the real space. Is this correct?
    or is the V-space(the space of v in h1 where v(0) = 0) the function in question?

9. Oct 8, 2006 #8

StatusX

Homework Helper

The function sends v, an element of H1, (which is a function itself) to v(1) (or v(1)-v(0)), which is an element of R (or C). To show it is continuous, show that if a sequence of functions v_n has limit v in H1, then the sequence in R (or C) given by v_n(1) has limit v(1). First you'll have to be more specific about what you mean by H1 (eg, what is the norm?).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  10. Oct 8, 2006 #9
    the inner product of H1 is given by

[tex](u, v)_{H^{1}} = \int u' v' (x) dx [/tex]

the norm is

[tex] \| \cdot \|_{H^{1}} = \sqrt{(\cdot, \cdot)_{H^{1}}[/tex]

how exactly do you define a sequence of functions v_n?

thanks.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  11. Oct 10, 2006 #10

StatusX

Homework Helper

You don't have to explicitly define a sequence. Just show that if {v_n} is a sequence such that ||v_n-v||->0, then |v_n(1)-v(1)|->0.

12. Oct 10, 2006 #11

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

l^2 is the space of square summable series. L^2(X) is the space of square intergrable functions on X.

13. Oct 11, 2006 #12
    hi guys,

just submitted the work today...am not sure if what I did was 100% correct, but at least I know it was generally correct.

I did try to show that v_n(1) -> v(1) if v_n conerges to v...something like that :)

just want to say thanks for the help.

14. Oct 11, 2006 #13

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

H1 is a set of functions from X to Y (I don't know what X and Y are). Shouldn't you have defined a function f : H1 -> Y defined by: f(v) = v(1). It's clear that V = f-1({0}) so you would only need to prove two things: a) that {0} is closed in Y, and b) that f is continuous. For the second problem, you would define a function g : H1 -> Y by g(v) = v(0) - v(1). The V here is g-1({0}), so assuming you've already proved {0} to be closed in Y, you now just have to show g is continuous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?