Is a Hilbert space over the quaternions separable?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a Hilbert space and its properties. It is mentioned that a finite dimensional Euclidean space with an inner product can also be considered a Hilbert space, and there is some debate about the use of quaternions as the scalar field for a vector space. The notion of dimension in a Hilbert space is also discussed, with the conclusion that there is only one infinite dimensional, separable Hilbert space. The conversation ends with a reference to the book "Foundations of Modern Analysis" and a discussion about the relevance of finite dimensional Hilbert spaces.
humanino
Please forgive this physicist's thread :

I can define a Hilbert space that is :
1) [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] with the euclidian norm, especially on a real field, and which is finite dimensional : is it right ? This is the most stupid question ever.
2) over the quaternions [tex]\mathbb{H}[/tex] ?
3) if the dimension is infinite non-countable, it is not separable. There is no need to talk about topological or metrical separability, the two coincide.

Please some one answer. It is due to questions [thread=44301]here[/thread].

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1) It's partly a matter of definition. Finite dimensional Euclidean spaces and Hilbert (infinite dimensional) are very similar, but usually the terms are kept separate.

2) I've never seen anyone use quarternions as the scalar field for a vector space. I suppose it's possible, but it would have to be worked out.

3) The topology of a metric space is determined by the metric. I doubt if there is a distinction in the use of the term separable, but I'm a little rusty here.

To me, Hilbert space is distinguished not by tis dimension, but by the rpesence of an inner product. Thus a finite dimensional Hilbert space is finite dimensional euclidean space equipped with its inner product.

The notion of dimension of a hilbert space can be confusing. for a vector space the dimension is usually the cardinality of an maximal independent set. For any hilbert space, this is never countably infinite.

Sometimes the dimension of a hilbert space on the other hand is thought of as the cardinality of a maximal orthonormal set, which can be countably infinite, as in the case of "little L2".

For a hilbert space to be separable as a topological space, i.e. to have a countable dense subset, it is necessary and sufficient to have an at most countable maximal orthonormal set.

There is in fact only one infinite dimensional, separable hilbert space, namely "little L2", up to isomorphism.

Since i am french, I always referred to Bourbaki for what matters of semantics. They defined a Hilbert space independently of the dimensionality, finite or infinite. I appreciate the answers. Thanks.

EDIT : I don't see any reason why dimensionality should occur in the definition of a Hilbert space

Last edited:
the book: foundations of modern analysis, by the fine french writer Dieudonne', was my source for these remarks.

Thank you mathwonk. I understand you go in the same direction as i do. Indeed Dieudonne is one of the Bourbaki guys.

Yet mathman seem to imply there is a distinction, and finite dimensional Hilbert spaces are not accepted.

i think he just means they are not the hilbert spaces of interest to many people.

I totally agree. This question is kind of irrelevant anyway. It keeps going on in the other forum, I wanted to make it stop for that reason.

What is a Hilbert space?

A Hilbert space is a mathematical concept that represents an infinite-dimensional vector space. It is a generalization of Euclidean space to an arbitrary number of dimensions.

What are the properties of a Hilbert space?

A Hilbert space must satisfy four key properties: completeness, orthogonality, linearity, and continuity. Completeness means that every Cauchy sequence in the space converges to a point in the space. Orthogonality means that the inner product of two vectors in the space is zero if the vectors are orthogonal. Linearity means that the space is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication. Continuity means that the space is continuous, meaning that small changes in inputs result in small changes in outputs.

What is the significance of Hilbert spaces in mathematics?

Hilbert spaces are important in mathematics because they provide a rigorous framework for studying functions and operators in infinite dimensions. They have applications in various fields such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and functional analysis.

How are Hilbert spaces different from other vector spaces?

Hilbert spaces are different from other vector spaces in that they are infinite-dimensional and have specific properties, such as orthogonality and completeness, that are not found in finite-dimensional vector spaces. They also have a unique inner product that allows for the definition of length and angles between vectors.

What are some examples of Hilbert spaces?

Some examples of Hilbert spaces include the space of square-integrable functions, the space of complex-valued sequences with finite L2 norm, and the space of functions that are infinitely differentiable and have finite L2 norm on a compact interval. These are just a few examples, as Hilbert spaces can be constructed for various types of functions and operators.