Hilbert's Derivation of Field Equations?

In summary, the conversation is about finding Hilbert's paper on the derivation of General Relativity's field equations, which is said to be more elegant than Einstein's. The paper is available in German, but there are also discussions of Hilbert's approach in English, such as in the book "Gravitation" by Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler, and on Wikipedia. However, the paper itself is not available for free in English, so the speaker would need to learn German to read it.
Geremia
Where can I find the paper of Hilbert's derivation of General Relativity's field equations? I heard it is more elegant than Einstein's. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Good find - unfortunately, Springer wants to charge me for those, so I'll have to learn German.

I'll have to learn German
Cool. Let me know when you're done, I'd love to discuss with you guys in my mother tongue. :wink:

What is Hilbert's Derivation of Field Equations?

Hilbert's Derivation of Field Equations refers to the mathematical process developed by German mathematician David Hilbert to describe the behavior of gravitational fields in the theory of general relativity.

Why was Hilbert's Derivation of Field Equations important?

Hilbert's Derivation of Field Equations was significant because it provided a more elegant and concise way to express the theory of general relativity, compared to the original equations developed by Albert Einstein.

What is the role of tensors in Hilbert's Derivation of Field Equations?

Tensors play a crucial role in Hilbert's Derivation of Field Equations as they are used to describe the curvature of space-time in the theory of general relativity. Hilbert's equations involve ten different tensor equations that describe the gravitational field and its interaction with matter.

How does Hilbert's Derivation of Field Equations differ from Einstein's equations?

Hilbert's Derivation of Field Equations differs from Einstein's equations in that it provides a more elegant and concise mathematical formulation of the theory of general relativity. Hilbert's equations also include a term known as the cosmological constant, which Einstein initially did not include in his equations.

Are Hilbert's Derivation of Field Equations still used today?

Yes, Hilbert's Derivation of Field Equations is still widely used in the field of general relativity and has been instrumental in various applications, such as predicting the gravitational waves detected in 2015. However, some modifications have been made to the equations over time to incorporate new theories and discoveries.