Hill and BBC Yield Criterion, Hardening Models

In summary, the conversation was about a student seeking help to understand the concepts of yield criteria and hardening models in relation to FEA models and their accuracy in predicting actual strain test results. Yield criteria refer to the equations used to determine when a material will deform plastically, while hardening models describe how a material's strength and stiffness change as it is deformed. Different materials and manufacturing processes require different yield criteria and hardening models, which is important to consider in FEA simulations.
djbenny1
Sorry - I didn't post according to the template as even though this is a homework/coursework question; it's not as black and white as a question and answer!

I am doing a piece of coursework, or research if you like, for university. The purpose of it is to investigate how the results of FEA models vary from ACTUAL strain test results.

As a part of this I have to use different Yield Criterion (Hill 48 and BBC 2005) as well as different Hardening Models (Ludwik, Swift, Ghosh, Hockett-Sherby and Combined Hocket-Sherby).

I'm just not really sure what these are and how they are different to one another.

I'm kind of lost in translation and I was hoping someone here could help me understand.

This is probably very vague, but being as confused as I am, its hard for me to even ask the question properly so if you need any more information please ask!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your coursework. It's great that you are conducting research and investigating FEA models and their correlation with actual strain test results.

To begin, Yield Criterion refers to the mathematical equations used to determine when a material will start to deform plastically, meaning it will permanently change shape when subjected to stress. This is important to understand because it affects the accuracy of FEA models. Hill 48 and BBC 2005 are two different yield criteria that are commonly used in FEA simulations.

On the other hand, Hardening Models refer to the mathematical equations used to describe how a material's strength and stiffness change as it is deformed. Ludwik, Swift, Ghosh, Hockett-Sherby, and Combined Hockett-Sherby are all different hardening models that are used to describe different types of material behavior.

The reason there are different yield criteria and hardening models is because different materials behave differently under stress. For example, a soft material like rubber will have a different yield criterion and hardening model compared to a hard material like steel. Additionally, different manufacturing processes can also affect the material's behavior, which is why it's important to consider different yield criteria and hardening models in FEA simulations.

I hope this helps to clarify the concepts of yield criteria and hardening models for you. If you have any further questions or need more information, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your research!

What is the Hill yield criterion?

The Hill yield criterion is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of materials under stress. It is used to predict the yield point of a material and is based on the principle of maximum distortion energy.

How does the Hill yield criterion differ from other yield criteria?

The Hill yield criterion differs from other yield criteria in that it takes into account the anisotropy (directional dependence) of a material's yield strength. This means that the yield strength of a material may vary depending on the direction in which it is being loaded.

What are hardening models in the context of the Hill yield criterion?

Hardening models refer to mathematical equations that describe how a material's yield strength changes as it undergoes plastic deformation. In the context of the Hill yield criterion, these models are used to predict the material's yield strength at various stages of deformation.

What factors influence the choice of a hardening model?

The choice of a hardening model depends on several factors including the type of material being studied, the level of plastic deformation expected, and the accuracy of the model in predicting the material's behavior. Other factors to consider include the complexity of the model and the availability of experimental data for validation.

How are Hill and BBC yield criteria related?

The Hill and BBC (Barcelona Bauschinger Chaboche) yield criteria are both based on the concept of maximum distortion energy and are often used together to predict the behavior of materials under complex loading conditions. The BBC criterion is an extension of the Hill criterion and takes into account the material's hardening behavior under cyclic loading.