Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hillbilly Handfishin

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1

rhody

Gold Member

For those of you who love sticking your hand/feet into the mouths of whatever lurks below the surface of water, not knowing what comes up I give you http://www.youtube.com/user/AnimalPlanetTV#p/c/9E6952C44277E2F1835".

I love this http://animal.discovery.com/videos/hillbilly-handfishin-woman-feels-the-thrill-of-the-catch.html" [Broken] too, for you ladies...

I believe this is what an initiation into the PF fold should include. Starts this Sunday August 7th, on Animal Planet, so be there and REPORT !!!

Sorry Pengy, I had to come up with my own saying, hope you don't mind.

Rhody... :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2011 #2
    Wow, noodling has made it on the television. At least it's on Animal Planet and not SyFy, History, or the ScienceChannel. That might be entertaining to watch for a few minutes.

4. Aug 2, 2011 #3

rhody

Gold Member

QC,

I just added two more links, have a look. There are more clips easily available from there as well.

Rhody... :wink:

5. Aug 2, 2011 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oh, I did a noodling thread ages ago.

6. Aug 2, 2011 #5

rhody

Gold Member

How about a link, lets see what twists the Animal Planet folks throw at us in comparison.

Rhody...

7. Aug 2, 2011 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

8. Aug 3, 2011 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was surprised a few years ago to learn that Hand Fishing is legal in Kansas.
    http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Fishing/Fishing-Regulations/Hand-Fishing" [Broken]

9. Aug 17, 2011 #8

rhody

Gold Member

I have watched about 15 minutes of three shows now, the last one with about 5 men and 4 women was fun to watch, they pulled in a 60 lb catfish from a hole in this lake (the biggest so far for the season). I am not sure how much longevity the show has. Let's face it, there are only so many scenario's you can have luring a big fish out of a hole with a body part, with others gleefully cheering them on. The tension between the men and women wears thin after awhile. I think this will be a one shot pilot not to be renewed.

Rhody...

10. Aug 17, 2011 #9
    i didn't realize people in alabama did this, but i did meet someone recently who claimed to. the only thing that would worry me is snapping turtles, but i'm not sure how big a danger that really is.

that shark tank stuff up there, that's a bit of a no-no. that aquarium may be OK, but most species will outgrow any size tank normal folks can afford.

11. Aug 17, 2011 #10

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

PBS made the documentary film http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/okie_noodling/" where, IIRC, they talk about sticking their arm in a hole and saying if the hole goes up get your arm out since there ain't no fish that lives above water. :bugeye: They also talk about people who have drown going underwater into a hole.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  12. Aug 17, 2011 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been pretty amazed lately on the things they've turned into entire TV series. It was an interesting, "Wow, people actually do things like that?" thing for one part of one episode of a show, but after that, how exciting can it be to keep watching people do it over and over? It's sort of like that Extreme Couponing show. I think it was enough to watch one episode, and determine that those people are absolutely nuts in their obsession. After that, it's just watching people checking out at a register and thinking they'd die if they held up lines like that in the local grocery store.

13. Aug 17, 2011 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about,

market.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/show?p=NiUrA4YTwDI&tracker=show_av [Broken]

14. Aug 17, 2011 #13

turbo

Gold Member

If someone has a whole folder worth of coupons that they want to redeem, they ought to be sent to a "special" checkout 'way in the back of the store that is manned by a cranky old OCD employee that checks every quantity, every date, every "not to be combined" statement, etc, so it takes them at least an hour or two to get checked out. Just sayin'.

People who take couponing to an extreme are gaming the system. The stores will accept some amount of losses just to keep the lines moving, and their check-out ladies are not equipped or trained to deal with fraud. As long as the stores are not processing coupons in excess of the product that they buy and sell, it's unlikely that the distributors will crack down.

15. Aug 18, 2011 #14
    The catfish give prizes too.:surprised

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook