Hills Hoist Mechanism: Understanding the Function and Assembly | Explained

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking an explanation on how the mechanism of a traditional 'hills hoist' clothesline works. They ask if the handle assembly moves along the central threaded rod and if it is possible to achieve this with a fixed handle assembly. The other person explains that the handle assembly is fixed to the exterior stationary pole and suggests a way to modify the mechanism to achieve a 360-degree rotation as it extends. The conversation ends with a request for more information in order to provide better suggestions.
TheNarrator
Firstly, am struggling to wrap my head around exactly how the mechanism for a traditional 'hills hoist' (as seen below) clothesline functions.

Hills_Hoist_Balwyn_Victoria.JPG

The handle can be turned in order to raise the clotheslines but from my googling, the mechanism is different to what I was expecting.

Would be greatly appreciated if someone were able to explain to me how systems such as the ones shown below function.

repair-kit-heritage-hoist.jpg

$_90.JPG

Does the entire handle assembly move along the central threaded rod, pushing up the upper section?

If so is there a way to achieve this with the handle assembly fixed?

Feel like it's probably quite a simple answer but haven't been able to find much specific information on it

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
TheNarrator said:
Does the entire handle assembly move along the central threaded rod, pushing up the upper section?

No. In the top image, the only visibly moving parts are the crank handle rotating and everything above 2/3 the height of the fence moving upward (the photo shows it in it's lowermost position).

In your second image:
Only the threaded rod moves up or down,it doesn't rotate, all others parts rotate or are stationary.
The hand crank rotates the LH bevel gear which rotates the RH bevel gear whose internal threading drives the lead screw up or down. The lower brass coloured collar prevents the lead screw from rotating.

Likes TheNarrator
Thanks for your response.

So that means the handle assembly is fastened to the exterior stationary pole in some way correct?

I need to make a system like this where the threaded rods extends but want it to rotate through 360deg (preferably only once) as it extends. is there a way to achieve this by modifying a hills hoist or am I on the wrong track completely?

The reason for lots of turns is: in general mechanical advantage increases as the rate of the extension per turn decreases.

Questions you need to answer:
So - how much extension or retraction is required for one revolution?
Diameter of the central shaft == ?
Mass of the "stuff" or payload at the top of the rod == ?

TheNarrator said:
Thanks for your response.

So that means the handle assembly is fastened to the exterior stationary pole in some way correct?
That's right.

I need to make a system like this where the threaded rods extends but want it to rotate through 360deg (preferably only once) as it extends. is there a way to achieve this by modifying a hills hoist or am I on the wrong track completely?
If you replaced the lead screw with one something like this:
Helix cut lead screw.PNG

It'd rotate once per full height extension. Though, that'd be very difficult/expensive to make.
If you give us details of what you're trying to do we may have better suggestions.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is a Hills Hoist Mechanism?

A Hills Hoist Mechanism is a type of clothesline that uses a rotating hoist to hang and dry laundry. It was invented in Australia by Lance Hill in 1945 and quickly became a popular choice for households around the world.

2. How does the Hills Hoist Mechanism work?

The Hills Hoist Mechanism works by using a central pole with a rotating arm attached to it. This arm has several smaller arms, or "lines", attached to it that can be raised or lowered. The laundry can be hung on these lines and then the arm can be rotated to allow the laundry to dry evenly in the sun.

3. What are the components of a Hills Hoist Mechanism?

The main components of a Hills Hoist Mechanism include the central pole, the rotating arm, the smaller arms or lines, and the ground socket or base. Some models may also include a clothesline cover to protect the laundry from the elements.

4. How do you assemble a Hills Hoist Mechanism?

Assembling a Hills Hoist Mechanism typically involves attaching the central pole to the ground socket or base, then attaching the rotating arm and smaller arms to the pole. The specific assembly process may vary slightly depending on the model, so it's important to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully.

5. Are there any maintenance tips for a Hills Hoist Mechanism?

To keep a Hills Hoist Mechanism functioning properly, it's important to regularly lubricate the moving parts with a light oil and to tighten any loose bolts or screws. It's also important to regularly clean the lines and remove any debris or buildup to prevent damage to the mechanism.