Hindu sacred text - The Bhagvad Gita

• Thread starter mia5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Text
In summary, the text discusses eastern philosophy and religion and is an easy to read but difficult to understand translation of verses from the Mahabharata.
mia5
Has anyone read the Bhagvad Gita ? What is it like ? What does it talk about ? What are your views on the text ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a quite nice text that gives a very good picture of the eastern religions.

It's a part of a bigger text, the mahabharata. It's about a country that is split up by war. So before the big battle, the armies stand and face each other. The hero of the story, Arjuna, then realizes that he will have to fight many people who are dear to him and that a lot of people will die in vain. So he doesn't want to fight anymore.

It is then that the God Krishna tells him that he should fight the battle because he has a duty to. However, he should not fight out of hate or vengeance, but simply because he should. The entire book is an explanation of the eastern philosophies and what they believe. That said, it's a pretty difficult read, so you will want to have some commentary with the book. Also, if you buy the book, don't get the hare krishna version because it's not very accurate.

I would really recommend the book. It really changes your perspective on things, even if you don't agree with things in there.

The text is roughly speaking about what the incarnation Krishna says to one of the soldiers Arjuna amidst a war explained in the Mahabharata. He basically teaches Arjuna philosophical and spiritual virtues such as Dharma and Moksha. I myself didn't read it but my mom read me verses of it regularly when I was a kid (she tried to mix in her annoying religious views into the mix but I thankfully wasn't as naive as she thought I was). As far as views go, I just see it as another interesting piece of reading about ancient Indian philosophy and nothing more. I do, however, dislike its stance on "duties in the face of war" - I find it disgustingly barbaric (not that we are any better today). Other themes in the text (actually a majority of the themes) were much too complicated for me to understand, and I doubt I would even understand them now although I can't say because it's been years since I went near anything even remotely related to Indian culture.

Closed

Last edited:

1. What is the Bhagavad Gita?

The Bhagavad Gita is a sacred Hindu text that is considered one of the most important and influential scriptures in Hinduism. It is a part of the larger epic, the Mahabharata, and is composed of 700 verses in Sanskrit.

2. Who wrote the Bhagavad Gita?

The authorship of the Bhagavad Gita is attributed to the sage Vyasa, who is also believed to have written the Mahabharata. However, many scholars believe that the text was compiled over a period of time and may have had multiple authors.

3. What is the main message of the Bhagavad Gita?

The Bhagavad Gita is a conversation between the warrior prince Arjuna and Lord Krishna, who is believed to be an incarnation of the Hindu deity, Vishnu. The main message of the text is to fulfill one's duties and responsibilities without being attached to the outcome.

4. How is the Bhagavad Gita relevant in modern times?

The teachings of the Bhagavad Gita are still relevant in modern times as they provide guidance on how to live a moral and fulfilling life. The concepts of selfless action, detachment, and devotion are still applicable in today's world and can help individuals find inner peace and purpose.

5. Can non-Hindus read and understand the Bhagavad Gita?

Yes, the Bhagavad Gita is open to people of all religions and backgrounds. It offers universal teachings that can be understood and applied by anyone seeking spiritual guidance or self-improvement. Many non-Hindus have found inspiration and wisdom in the teachings of the Bhagavad Gita.