Solving the Convergence of Points A and B

In summary, the question is about two points A and B, where A moves with a constant velocity v towards B, which is also moving with a uniform velocity u < v. The distance between the points is l, and the initial moment of time has v perpendicular to u. The points will converge when A starts turning, but the direction and distance of A and B when this happens is not specified. It is possible for v to be on a circular arc of radius l, and in order for A and B to meet, they must cover the same distance in the same time. The solution involves integrals and a good question is needed.
vaishakh
Can anyone here give some hint to solve this question. I cannot proceed much in solving this question.
Point A moves with constant velocity v so that the vector v is continually pointed towards the point B which in turn is in a rectilinear motion with a uniform velocity u < v. at the initial moment of time vector v is perpendicular to the vector u and the points are separated by a distance of l. how soon the points will converge?

The problem that I face with this problem is that there is no definition of when does A start turning and what will be the direction and the distance between A and B when A starts turning. In fact A turns constantly(I know that).

Physics news on Phys.org
A starts turning when B is moving. Remember, the vector v is always pointing from A to B, and B is moving with speed u.

I can think of the case where v is the constant velocity on a circular arc of radius l.

v and u are uniform. Also, v2= vx2(t) + vy2(t)

In order to meet, pt A and B, must traverse the same distance in the same time, so <vy> = u during the same period.

Last edited:
Let u is along x
at time t, v makes theeta with u

1. in time interval t the relative distance covered in x direction is zero

2 in time interval t distance covered by A relative to B along AB = l

the tric is in integrals

try a good question!

Dont see the back of I.E. Erodov

MP

1. What is the Convergence of Points A and B?

The Convergence of Points A and B refers to the process of finding the point where two distinct lines or curves intersect. It is also known as the intersection point.

2. Why is it important to solve the Convergence of Points A and B?

Solving the Convergence of Points A and B is important in a variety of fields such as mathematics, engineering, and physics. It allows us to determine the exact location where two lines or curves intersect, which is crucial in solving many real-world problems.

3. What are the different methods for solving the Convergence of Points A and B?

There are several methods for solving the Convergence of Points A and B, including graphical methods, algebraic methods, and numerical methods. Graphical methods involve plotting the equations of the lines or curves and visually determining the intersection point. Algebraic methods involve solving the equations simultaneously to find the intersection point. Numerical methods use algorithms and computer programs to approximate the intersection point.

4. What are some common challenges when solving the Convergence of Points A and B?

One common challenge when solving the Convergence of Points A and B is when the lines or curves do not intersect. In this case, there is no solution to the problem. Another challenge is when the equations are complex and cannot be easily solved using traditional methods. In these cases, more advanced techniques may be necessary.

5. How can I apply the concept of the Convergence of Points A and B in real life?

The concept of the Convergence of Points A and B can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as determining the optimal point of intersection for two roads, finding the break-even point for a business, or calculating the intersection of two rivers. It is also commonly used in fields such as navigation, surveying, and computer graphics.