1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hint needed

1. Dec 17, 2005 #1
    Can anyone here give some hint to solve this question. I cannot proceed much in solving this question.
    Point A moves with constant velocity v so that the vector v is continually pointed towards the point B which in turn is in a rectilinear motion with a uniform velocity u < v. at the initial moment of time vector v is perpendicular to the vector u and the points are separated by a distance of l. how soon the points will converge?

The problem that I face with this problem is that there is no definition of when does A start turning and what will be the direction and the distance between A and B when A starts turning. Infact A turns constantly(I know that).
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

A starts turning when B is moving. Remember, the vector v is always pointing from A to B, and B is moving with speed u.

I can think of the case where v is the constant velocity on a circular arc of radius l.

v and u are uniform. Also, v2= vx2(t) + vy2(t)

In order to meet, pt A and B, must traverse the same distance in the same time, so <vy> = u during the same period.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  4. Dec 20, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

Let u is along x
    at time t, v makes theeta with u

1. in time interval t the relative distance covered in x direction is zero

2 in time interval t distance covered by A relative to B along AB = l

the tric is in integrals

try a good question!

Dont see the back of I.E. Erodov

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?