Solving Integral of (u-2)/sqrt(u^2+1) du - Help!

• Thread starter sony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses how to proceed with a given integral and asks for help with another one. It is suggested to use trigonometric substitution for the first integral and to split the second one into two parts. The steps for solving the first integral are provided and for the second one, it is recommended to use a trigonometric substitution. Eventually, the derivative of cotangent is mentioned as a helpful reminder for solving the second integral.
sony
Ok so after a substituion I have this: (I don't know how to proceed)

"integral of" (u-2) / sqrt(u^2 + 1) du

and by the way, can someone tell me what cot^3(tan^-1(x)) equals?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
sqrt(u^2+1) just screams for a trig substitution.

Bah, I see it. I easily get confused when having to substitution i several steps :P

Thanks

Well, it may be a bit easier if you split at first.

[tex]\int {\frac{{u - 2}}{{\sqrt {u^2 + 1} }}du} = \int {\frac{u}{{\sqrt {u^2 + 1} }}du} - \int {\frac{2}{{\sqrt {u^2 + 1} }}du} [/tex]

So the first one gives

[tex]\int {\frac{u}{{\sqrt {u^2 + 1} }}du} = \frac{1}{2}\int {\frac{{d\left( {u^2 + 1} \right)}}{{\sqrt {u^2 + 1} }}} [/tex]

Which is easy to integrate, without a trig subst.
Then of course, still the second part :smile:

You might want to break it up into 2 integrals. The first one is very straightforward, the second one is easy with a trig substitution as tmc suggested.

EDIT: near simultaneous post w/ TD

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. I have that one now.

Can you please hint me with one more:
I have the integral of (sqrt(1-x^2)) / x^4 dx

Which with trig.subs leads to:
integral of cot^2(y) *csc^2(y) dy

Again I'm stuck :P

Correct, but remember that

[tex]\left( {\cot x} \right)^\prime = - \csc ^2 x[/tex]

:smile:

1. How do I solve the integral of (u-2)/sqrt(u^2+1) du?

To solve this integral, you can use the substitution method. Let u = u^2+1, then du = 2u du. Substituting this into the integral, we get ∫(u-2)/sqrt(u^2+1) du = ∫(u-2)/2u du. This can then be simplified to ∫(1-2/u)/2 du. From here, you can use the power rule to integrate and then substitute back in for u to get your final answer.

2. What is the substitution method and when should I use it?

The substitution method is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals by substituting a variable with a function. It is typically used when the integrand contains a function that cannot be easily integrated using traditional methods. In this case, the substitution helps to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

3. How do I choose the appropriate substitution for a given integral?

Choosing the appropriate substitution for an integral is a crucial step in solving it. It is important to look for patterns or familiar functions in the integrand that can be substituted with a new variable. In general, you want to choose a substitution that will help simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

4. Can I use other integration techniques to solve this integral?

Yes, there are other integration techniques that can be used to solve this integral. Some alternatives to the substitution method include integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fraction decomposition. However, in this case, the substitution method is the most efficient and straightforward approach.

5. Are there any special cases or restrictions when solving this integral?

Yes, there are a few special cases and restrictions to keep in mind when solving this integral. For example, if the integrand has a negative exponent, you will need to use the power rule with a negative power. Additionally, if the integrand contains a trigonometric function, you may need to use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral further.