1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hints only please: compact iff bicompact

1. Aug 2, 2004 #1
    I'd like hints only please. I have an analysis book and I could look up the proof myself but I'm trying to prove it myself as an exercise; so giving the full proof would be redundant as well as counterproductive to my own learning.

X is a metric space.

In this other book, K is compact iff every sequence in K has a convergent subsequence. I know that topologically, this is not the standard definiton of compact; some authors would call this sequentially compact.

K is bicompact if every open cover of K admits a finite refinement that also covers K. This is how compactness is usually defined as far as I knew.

Hints on how compact implies bicompact and bicompact implies compact would be very much appreciated.

Right now, I'm working on compact implies bicompact so that is the current priority. I don't need hints on the other direction at this time since I haven't tried it.

A general hint like "prove the contrapositive" or "use contradiction" might be helpful though I've tried the first of the two already. I suppose as I await a reply, I'll try contradiction...

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2004 #2

plover

Homework Helper

Did you mean "K is a metric space"?

4. Aug 2, 2004 #3
    Sorry for the oversight. I meant that X is a metric space and that K is a subset of X.

5. Aug 3, 2004 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'll give you 2 lemmas to prove first:

1. If K is (sequentially) compact, then K is totally bounded.
    (A set is called totally bounded, if for any e>0, there exist a finite set [tex]\{x_{k}\}\in{K}[/tex] such that K is covered by the union of disks [tex]D(x_{k},e)[/tex])
    2.Let [tex]\{U_{i}\}[/tex] be an open cover of K.
    Then there exist r>0, such that for any [tex]y\in{K}[/tex], the open disk
    D(y,r) is contained in some [tex]U_{i}[/tex]

(I thought 2. was shockingly strong the first time I saw it..)

Proof by contradiction..

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  6. Aug 3, 2004 #5
    Thank you so much. I went ahead and proved that compact --> bicompact using the two lemmas; now I'm working on proving the first lemma. I'm sort of stuck on it though I haven't tried everything yet. In the next day or two, I may ask for a hint on how to prove lemma 1. I'm now resorting to proving it with contradiction. I want to exhibit a sequence with no convergent subsequence... Still working on it. Thanks again.

7. Aug 4, 2004 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Good luck!
    I guess you've already figured out how the two lemmas together will prove your main objective..

8. Aug 4, 2004 #7
    How does this look for a proof of the first lemma?

We will show that if [tex]K[/tex] is not totally bounded then [tex]K[/tex] is not compact by constructing a sequence in [tex]K[/tex] that has no convergent subsequence. Let [tex]x_{1}[/tex] be any element of [tex]K[/tex]. Note that since [tex]K[/tex] is not totally bounded, [tex]K[/tex] is not covered by [tex]B_{1}\left( x_{1}\right) [/tex]. So let [tex]x_{2}\in K\backslash B_{1}\left( x_{1}\right) [/tex]. Likewise, [tex]K[/tex] is not covered by [tex]B_{1}\left( x_{1}\right) \cup B_{2}\left( x_{2}\right) [/tex]. For [tex]n>2[/tex] let [tex]x_{n}\in K\backslash \bigcup_{i=1}^{n-1}B_{1}\left( x_{i}\right) [/tex]. [tex]x_{n}[/tex] exists because if [tex]K[/tex] is covered by [tex]\bigcup_{i=1}^{n-1}B_{1}\left( x_{i}\right) [/tex], it would be totally bounded. The sequence [tex]\left\{ x_{i}\right\} [/tex] has no convergent subsequence because for all (unequal) [tex]i,j[/tex], [tex]d\left( x_{i},x_{j}\right) >1[/tex] and if there were an increasing function [tex]\tau :Z^{+}\rightarrow Z^{+}[/tex] such that there is an [tex]I\in Z^{+}[/tex] such that if [tex]i\geq I[/tex], then [tex]d\left( x_{\tau \left( i\right) },x\right) <1/2[/tex] for some [tex]x\in X[/tex]. That would imply that [tex]d\left( x_{\tau \left( I\right) },x_{\tau \left( I+1\right) }\right) \leq d\left( x_{\tau \left( I\right) },x\right) +d\left( x,x_{\tau \left( I+1\right) }\right) <1[/tex] when we know that [tex]d\left( x_{\tau \left( I\right) },x_{\tau \left( I+1\right) }\right) >1[/tex]. Therefore [tex]K[/tex] is not compact as we have exhibited a sequence with no convergent subsequence.

9. Aug 4, 2004 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Is [tex]B_{1}[/tex] a ball with radius 1?
    If so, your argument is (slightly) flawed:
    The negation is:
    There exist some e>0 such that K cannot be covered by finitely many balls of radius e.
    (As far as I can see, you can merely substitute e for 1 in your argument to get the proof)

10. Aug 4, 2004 #9
    Cool deal. Now I'm working on the second lemma...

11. Aug 4, 2004 #10
    Could I have a hint for the second lemma? Thanks in advance.

12. Aug 5, 2004 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The negation is:
    For every r>0, there exist some y in K, such that the disk D(y,r) is not (fully) contained in any Ui

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?