1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hip joint

1. Dec 4, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Can anybody help me calculate the approximate force/ stress on a hip joint during walking and/or running
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

What are your initial thoughts? We need to see something from you on questions #2 and #3 in order to help you. What forces and timescales are involved?
  4. Dec 5, 2006 #3
    All i want to find out is the approximate stress for each step that a person takes.

I need to keep it quite simple for a presentation that i am doing so i was going to try and estimate the force that is produced on impact with the floor and then divide that by the approximate cross-sectional area to find the stress.

I just need some help with the approximations.

Any help appreciated
  5. Dec 5, 2006 #4
    well the actual force would be hard to approximate because it varies from person to person due to mass change.. at least that is what i would think
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?