Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hip operation

1. Sep 23, 2015 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I may have to go for a hip replacement, has any one had one? what was the recovery like?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

My wife has had both hips replaced. It's a real pain but you get over it. Recovery takes months, with lots of physical therapy involved. Her first one was much worse than the second one and the doc said that's not uncommon. There is lot of variability in the recovery process, even for the same person.

4. Sep 23, 2015 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

My dad had a hip replacement last March (a year and a half ago). I probably had a worse day than he did: i slipped on ice while shoveling his driveway and may have fractured my tailbone. Couldn't sit right for months. They had him walking that day and he was playing golf in April. Skiing this past winter. Personally, I think he resisted getting it done for too long.

5. Sep 23, 2015 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Wow i am even more afraid than ever to get mine done now, it is not too bad at the moment , just a dull ache all the time and the odd twinge.

6. Sep 23, 2015 #5

Mark44

My friend that I do long hikes with (3 to 10 days and up to 55 miles) had a hip replacement two or three years ago. He was back doing fairly long hikes within about three months. Neither of us is a young buck - he's 62 and I'm a bit older.

7. Sep 25, 2015 #6

Ryan_m_b

My area of research concerns hip replacements and whilst I can't comment on your individual case (or any specific one given that I'm not a doctor) it might put your mind at ease to know that they are one of the most successful and safe procedures out there. Off the top of my head I believe immediate success rate is over >95%, the ten year number is 90% and at twenty years the success rate is still 80%.

Recovery times differ but the majority of patients gain a significant increase in mobility and an overall increase in their quality of life. There is a small risk of infection (my specific area of research) which can lead to a long period of recovery and revision surgery but for the USA this risk is <2%. Long story short: going by the odds you are about to undergo a very safe procedure that will improve your ability to walk, dance, run or whatever physical activity you care to occupy yourself with.

8. Sep 25, 2015 #7

russ_watters

I'm not sure if there is an option these days, but my dad had a version where no ligaments/tendons get cut, which makes recovery much easier than a knee replacement.

9. Sep 26, 2015 #8
    I have the dull ache and twinge. At 63, I might be too old, but the VA would be deciding that I suppose.

10. Oct 2, 2015 #9
    Recovery depends on how difficult the surgery is but both the surgical techniques, pain management and post op management are improving all the time.
    Remember that for the vast majority of people the surgery is very straight forward and surgeons have had lots of practice in getting it right. It may be that getting surgery before it becomes worse is a good idea, the area around the hip is less damaged. In the end its down to how badly its effecting your life, what you say to the surgeon will guide his advice.

11. Oct 2, 2015 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Thank you for all the replies, i am still in two minds, according to the posts here three months recovery time seems a whole lot, how ever getting it done before it gets too bad sounds a good ides.

12. Oct 2, 2015 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Plotus, 63 is no age at all decide now and get on to the VA about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook