Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hippie punk mod rocker

1. Feb 9, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Were you ever one? what are people nowadays or are there no more sub cultures.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was expecting a picture of a new combined sub-group!

4. Feb 9, 2008 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm all four. :biggrin:

or so I've been called at least.

5. Feb 9, 2008 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I bought "Bollocks" in 1979. It changed my life permanently. For me, U2 was an "Old" band in 1983, when "New Years Day" was released.

6. Feb 9, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is Bollocks?

7. Feb 9, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Mind_the_Bollocks%2C_Here's_the_Sex_Pistols

8. Feb 9, 2008 #7
    The Sex pistels! Never mind the Bollocks, lol I bought it too. I was a cross between a hippy and a rocker.

9. Feb 9, 2008 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well we know Ivan definitely isn't any of the above. :wink:

10. Feb 9, 2008 #9

turbo

Gold Member

I don't know. I had long hair, played guitar and sang in rock/blues bands, and my idea of dressing up was putting on a T-shirt with no holes in it. 40 years later, my wardrobe hasn't changed much and my hair is getting longer again.

11. Feb 9, 2008 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Huh? I never met a hippy who wasn't a rocker.

As for the OP.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=79875&page=2

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  12. Feb 9, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Blimey Ivan that made my head spin.

13. Feb 9, 2008 #12
    My punk collection is huge. I never really dressed like a punk though. Been to a ton of punk shows.

14. Feb 9, 2008 #13
    Mosher! :devil:

[​IMG]

15. Feb 9, 2008 #14
    There aren't as many clear divides these days, and you can be more than one.

Basically, nobody knows what's "cool" anymore.

16. Feb 9, 2008 #15
    Thats not true. People know what 'cool' is. I know what cool is.

17. Feb 9, 2008 #16
    There isn't one cool really, different sub cultures have different looks and therefor different looks for 'cool'

18. Feb 9, 2008 #17
    There never was 'one cool'.

19. Feb 9, 2008 #18

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I was considered a hippie, but we preferred to be called freaks. It was a separation of the fake hippies that wore trendy clothes and said things like "groovy" and the more intellectual freaks that were into underground music and great sci-fi books. Some of my friends went to Woodstock, some moved to communes.

Funny, recently my girls were here and they found a picture of me when I was 14 and both went "OMG!!! You really were a hippie!!

I was on the official volunteer staff at Pacifica radio when our tower was bombed by the Ku Klux Klan. My name was on all of our Newsletters. I dated the former Vice-President of the Students for a Democratic Society (SDA) after Tom Hayden. I'm on video in the National Library of Congress on the PBS documentary "The Great American Dream Machine" about the KKK bombing.

I was probably on an FBI watch list, by association, not by subversive actions.

And all this by the age of 15. I guess you could say that I was a free range child. I had already finished highschool at age 14.

20. Feb 9, 2008 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Truthfully, I don't know how others might have seen me, but I never have considered myself to be a this or a that or part of any subculture. For as long as I can remember I have valued uniqueness far more than belonging.

Over the years I have fit in with a number of subcultures ranging from nerds [geeks] to jocks to hippies, from born-again Christians to the crystal energy crowd, and from The Young Republicans to the most liberal of liberals, but I have never considered any one to be an identity.

21. Feb 9, 2008 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We were considered "non-conformists". We didn't fit into any classification, freaks we were, at least by societal labels. My best friend back then is now an Oceanographer, one is a psychiatrist, one an MD, some took over their family businesses. Lost touch with a few others, not sure what they ended up doing, but in some field of science or math, my boyfriend at the time was a math major at Rice, and another was studying Nuclear Physics at Rice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?