Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hire a Physicist

1. Jul 9, 2016 #1

gva

Is there any such service anywhere where I can hire a physicist to help solve certain things? How much per solution or day or week? anyone here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2016 #2
    There are a lot of engineering conslulting services - fewer physicists.

What kind of physicist do you need? A solid state physicist is different from a condensed matter is different from astro from nuclear, etc.

Consultants I know go from $100 - $500 per hour.

4. Jul 9, 2016 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Careful.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  5. Jul 9, 2016 #4

gva

Physicist expert in quantum interpretations. To help me write paper on arxiv.

6. Jul 9, 2016 #5
    You've got an uphill climb.

Folks who do theoretical physics as a hobby have something of a bad reputation among physicists with PhDs.

You could try starting a discussion on the Physics Stack Exchange: http://physics.stackexchange.com/

But short of going to grad school in Physics, I'm not sure I can recommend many paths with confidence that will accomplish what you want to do.

You could also try visiting the Physics Depts of nearby universities, but you are going to need a quick pitch to convince hearers that you are not a crank wasting their time.

If your budget is only a few hundred dollars, odds are you will only interest grad students, and then you have the challenge of finding one who can really contribute to your problem on that budget.

To interest PhDs, you probably need to catch their attention very quickly with a brilliant idea, or bring a lot of cash to the table - in which case you are more of a grant source than collaborator. Physicists are not accustomed to the funding source also being the collaborator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted