Historic Question of the Sun

In summary, the conversation discusses the evolution of our understanding of the sun, from the ancient belief of it being a god to the modern knowledge of it being a body of fusion. The focus is on the period between 1800-1900's, where scientists had theories about the sun's workings based on thermodynamics but before the understanding of subatomic interactions. One theory mentioned is Kelvin's belief that the sun was a large cooling body of liquid. Another theory referenced is the idea of the sun being a ball of burning coal, but this was disproven by calculations of the sun's energy output. Overall, the conversation highlights the significant progress made in understanding the sun over time.
timman_24
The history of our understanding of the sun is a very rich area. Ancients believed the sun was a god while we now know the sun is an enormous body of fusion. What I would like to discuss is how the scientists thought the sun worked after the development of the basics of thermodynamics but before the understanding of subatomic interactions. I believe between the years of 1800-1900's.

I'm sure there were many very fascinating theories, do any of you guys know some of these?

To get us started, Kelvin theorized the Sun was a large body of liquid that was slowly cooling by radiating its energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
From a book I have, I remember them talking about thinking that the sun was a huge ball of something like Coal that was burning. But in the end, once the output of the sun was calculated, there was no way that coal could be putting out that much energy for anywhere near a long enough time.

What is the "Historic Question of the Sun"?

The "Historic Question of the Sun" refers to the long-standing scientific inquiry into the nature, structure, and behavior of the sun.

Why is the "Historic Question of the Sun" important?

The sun is a vital part of our solar system and understanding it is crucial for predicting space weather, studying climate change, and exploring other planets. Additionally, the sun's energy is essential for sustaining life on Earth.

What are some key areas of research related to the "Historic Question of the Sun"?

Some key areas of research related to the "Historic Question of the Sun" include the sun's internal structure and composition, its magnetic field and solar activity, and its influence on Earth's climate and environment.

How do scientists study the sun?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study the sun, including telescopes, spacecraft, and computer models. They also employ different types of radiation, such as visible light, X-rays, and radio waves, to gather information about the sun's properties and behavior.

What are some current theories about the "Historic Question of the Sun"?

There are several current theories about the "Historic Question of the Sun," including the standard solar model, which explains the sun's structure and energy production, and the dynamo theory, which explains the generation of the sun's magnetic field. Other theories focus on the sun's role in climate change and its potential for producing solar storms and flares.