How can I understand wave graph conversion better?

In summary: Yes, the position of the snapshot graph dictates what happens to the history graph after moving the position of the snapshot graph back to t=0sec. And for looking at the history graph and drawing the snapshot, we would move the graph vt = x amount.
riceking95

Homework Statement

Number 6:
unnamed.jpg
For this problem I'm changing the wave speed to 3.0 m/s instead of 1 m/s because that's what our teacher instructed us to do.

Homework Equations

None that I know of

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having the hardest time making connections between the graphs and more specifically converting one graph to the other. I understand that the snapshot graph represents the displacement of the wave as a function of x and make the analogy of "the experience" a particle will go through. Also I know that the history graph shows what is happening to the medium at the specific point. But when it comes to graphs that are a bit more complex than easier x positions and different velocities I lose track of what's going on.

With this problem it says it is a history graph at x=2m with the wave moving at 3 m/s. Knowing this I would say that for the snapshot, the 2m will be affected immediately by the wave because of the placement of the leading edge on the history graph.
I also recognized from my teacher's solution that each second that's hashed on the graph is equivalent to the 3 meters which is understandable, but I really can't connect with what's going on overall. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.Here's my teacher's solution:
16-6.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Riceking, :welcome:

Well, you got most of it!
From the figure in the book you saw x=2 starts going up at t=0 and is back to 0 at t=4, so the whole snapshot "up from zero" width must be 12 m.
Similarly: x=2 is at its peak at t=1, so the rising flank of the wave is 3 m wide. With the 1 cm amplitude, that's enough to draw teacher's picture.
Change from 1 m/s to 3 m/s was probably introduced by teacher becasue 1 m/s is almost too easy (either that, or he doesn't want to see tiny drawings being handed in :smile:)

My advice: practice.
What worked very well for me: drawing waves on transparencies and move them sideways over a piece of paper with coordinate lines.

Likes riceking95
BvU said:
Hello Riceking, :welcome:

Well, you got most of it!
From the figure in the book you saw x=2 starts going up at t=0 and is back to 0 at t=4, so the whole snapshot "up from zero" width must be 12 m.
Similarly: x=2 is at its peak at t=1, so the rising flank of the wave is 3 m wide. With the 1 cm amplitude, that's enough to draw teacher's picture.
Change from 1 m/s to 3 m/s was probably introduced by teacher becasue 1 m/s is almost too easy (either that, or he doesn't want to see tiny drawings being handed in :smile:)

My advice: practice.
What worked very well for me: drawing waves on transparencies and move them sideways over a piece of paper with coordinate lines.
Hi BvU thank you for replying. Your explanation makes much more sense than I could understand by myself. Now, after what you said, I infer we use the snapshot graph to dictate what happens to the history graph after moving the position of the snapshot graph back to t=0sec? And for looking at the history graph and drawing the snapshot (like in problem 7), we would move the graph vt = x amount?

1. What is the purpose of using history and snapshot graphs?

History and snapshot graphs are used to visually represent data and trends over time. They allow us to see patterns and changes in data that may not be apparent from just looking at numbers or statistics.

2. How do history and snapshot graphs differ from other types of graphs?

Unlike other types of graphs, history and snapshot graphs specifically focus on showing changes over time. They often include a timeline or axis that represents different time periods, allowing us to see how the data has changed over a specific period.

3. What are the benefits of using history and snapshot graphs in scientific research?

History and snapshot graphs can help scientists to easily spot trends and patterns in their data, which can be useful in identifying potential relationships or correlations. They also allow for a quick and easy comparison of data from different time periods.

4. How should I choose between using a history or snapshot graph for my data?

The choice between using a history or snapshot graph depends on the specific data and the story you want to tell. If you want to show changes over time, a history graph would be more appropriate. If you want to compare data from different time points, a snapshot graph would be more suitable.

5. Are there any limitations to using history and snapshot graphs?

One limitation of using history and snapshot graphs is that they only show a snapshot of data at a specific point in time and may not reflect the full picture. They also rely on accurate and reliable data collection and may not be suitable for all types of data.