Did Ohm, Ampere, and Volta Collaborate on Ohm's Law?

In summary, Georg Ohm collaborated with others to come up with units for voltage, current & resistance. Ohm's law states that V=IR. The units for voltage, current & resistance were already in place by the time Ohm came out with his equation. The abampere (abbreviation for absolute ampere) was changed to the ampere in 1881 to match the practical units volt and ohm. There was a meeting in Britain over some days in 1861. A discussion over dinner one evening, sorted out which eponym would be associated with which physical parameter. The vote took place and the overnight discussion was reported in a note. I believe that is how the names were allocated to the SI
akerkarprashant
TL;DR Summary
History behind Ohm's law.
Voltage SI unit = Volts
Current SI unit = Ampere
Resistance SI unit = Ohm

Ohm's law : V=IR

Did Georg Ohm (German), Ampere (French) & Volta (Italian) collaborated when Ohm came out with this electricity equation with units for voltage, current & resistance as per their surnames?

Credit goes to all. Volt & Ampere units were already in place?

Ohm came out this electricity equation.

Attachments

• download - 2022-03-20T083811.888.jpeg
    download - 2022-03-20T083811.888.jpeg
    5.1 KB · Views: 81
  • download - 2022-03-20T084111.494.jpeg
    download - 2022-03-20T084111.494.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 68
  • download - 2022-03-20T084218.150.jpeg
    download - 2022-03-20T084218.150.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

• Love
Likes DrClaude, Steve4Physics, vanhees71 and 4 others
akerkarprashant said:
Credit goes to all. Volt & Ampere units were already in place?
The units where Volt, Ampere and Ohm where defined in the 1870s/early 1880s long after the people they where named for had died.

Likes vanhees71 and akerkarprashant
Ohm seems to have presented Ohm's law before units were introduced.
I believe the first units were the emu units defining the 'absolute ampere' (or abampere ) by
F/L=2II'/d. Does anyone know when, and for what reason, the SI ampere=abampere/10 was introduced.
That is related to when and why the SI ohm was introduced.

Likes vanhees71, akerkarprashant and berkeman
Meir Achuz said:
Does anyone know when, and for what reason, the SI ampere=abampere/10 was introduced.
There was a meeting in Britain over some days in 1861. A discussion over dinner one evening, sorted out which eponym would be associated with which physical parameter. The vote took place and the overnight discussion was reported in a note. I believe that is how the names were allocated to the SI units.
I followed it this far previously.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...conductivity-denoted-by-g.974343/post-6214413

• Informative
Likes Klystron, vanhees71, akerkarprashant and 1 other person
Siemens unit

Thanks.

The Conductance unit Siemens named after Ernst and Specific Resistance Mho were named after Ohm?

I'm not interested in the names.
When and why was the abampere changed to the ampere so that we have 30 amp fuses and not 3 abampere fuses (if anyone remembers what a fuse is)?

Likes akerkarprashant
akerkarprashant said:
... Specific Resistance Mho were named after Ohm?
The "mho" is simply "ohm" spelled backwards to signify the reciprocal.
Mho was a widely used informal conductance unit equal to inverse resistance.

For a while in the 1930s there was a reciprocal to the farad of capacitance. Reciprocal capacitance was called "elastance", and the unit "daraf" was also derived from a backward spelling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastance#Units

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Klystron, vanhees71, akerkarprashant and 1 other person
I'm afraid my question is still misunderstood. I know about the convention in 1960.
I am asking about the history from Wikipedia:
"an international convention, signed at the 1881 International Exposition of Electricity, established the ampere as a standard unit of electrical measurement for electric current.
The ampere was originally defined as one tenth of the unit of electric current in the centimetre–gram–second system of units." The Ampere must have been in some use before that, and why wasn't it made equal?

Likes akerkarprashant and vanhees71
Maybe this answers part of your question. I'm always glad when I get the confusing SI units right in my intro-E&M lecture ;-)).

https://www.iec.ch/history-si

• Informative
Likes Klystron
So you're saying Ohm met a lot of resistance when he proposed his law...

• Haha
Likes rude man, Klystron, vela and 3 others
Meir Achuz said:
I believe the first units were the emu units defining the 'absolute ampere' (or abampere ) by
F/L=2II'/d. Does anyone know when, and for what reason, the SI ampere=abampere/10 was introduced.

Meir Achuz said:
I'm afraid my question is still misunderstood. I know about the convention in 1960.
I am asking about the history from Wikipedia:
"an international convention, signed at the 1881 International Exposition of Electricity, established the ampere as a standard unit of electrical measurement for electric current.
The ampere was originally defined as one tenth of the unit of electric current in the centimetre–gram–second system of units." The Ampere must have been in some use before that, and why wasn't it made equal?

In 1862 the British Association chose, in a report, the practical units for voltage and resistance: 1 volt = 10^8 emu ('electromagnetic unit') of emf, and 1 ohm = 10^9 emu of resistance. The practical unit for current remained unnamed, but in 1875 it got the temporary name weber, and in 1881 it was renamed to ampere. The ampere was defined as 1 volt / 1 ohm.

The sizes of the emu of emf and the emu of resistance were inconveniently small for practical purposes. The size of the emu of current was not inconvenient, but the inconvenience was that is was not coherent with the practical units volt and ohm. (The name abampere did not yet exist, until 1904.)

The history in https://www.iec.ch/history-si explains a lot, but still leaves me with some questions.
Its seems that the ohm was chosen in 1881 so that "The ampere was originally defined as one tenth of the unit of electric current in the centimetre–gram–second system of units." (Wikipedia). The column of mercury was just the length for that. Would it have been that inconvenient to designate that measured resistance as 0.1 ohm? Were there already two Amperes before 1881? If they called the measurement 0.1 ohm, there would be only one ampere, and SI units would be the rationalized emu system. That would make it easier to "get the confusing SI units right."

Likes akerkarprashant
Meir Achuz said:
The column of mercury was just the length for that.
The length and diameter of the mercury column was chosen to give that resistance, so the standard could be regenerated elsewhere.

Meir Achuz said:
Were there already two Amperes before 1881?
You need to work in one system only at one time. CGS or MKS, don't try to mix the systems.

Likes akerkarprashant
Meir Achuz said:
The history in https://www.iec.ch/history-si explains a lot, but still leaves me with some questions.
Its seems that the ohm was chosen in 1881 so that "The ampere was originally defined as one tenth of the unit of electric current in the centimetre–gram–second system of units." (Wikipedia). The column of mercury was just the length for that. Would it have been that inconvenient to designate that measured resistance as 0.1 ohm? Were there already two Amperes before 1881? If they called the measurement 0.1 ohm, there would be only one ampere, and SI units would be the rationalized emu system. That would make it easier to "get the confusing SI units right."
I was more referring to the idiosyncratic definition of ##\mu_0## and ##\epsilon_0## and the fact that they choose the components of the electromagntic field ##(\vec{E},\vec{B})## to have different dimensions. From a physical point of view it's very confusing. Overall there were many systems of units in use like electrostatic, magnetostatic, Gaussian, rationalized Gaussian (aka Heaviside-Lorentz). The latter are the physically most adequate ones, but from a practical point of view unhandy.

Likes akerkarprashant and Klystron
I understand that muzero is now to be measured experimentally. I used to use that as a joke.

Likes akerkarprashant
Well, the "new SI" is indeed a big progress from a metrological point of view. Since now the elementary charge ##e## is fixed by definition, ##\mu_0## is now to be determined empirically. Together with the defined value of ##c## (speed of light in vacuo) then ##\epsilon_0## is also determined.

Likes akerkarprashant
Meir Achuz said:
I understand that muzero is now to be measured experimentally
Yes. 4π is now a measured number.?:)

• Haha
Likes Meir Achuz, akerkarprashant and vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
Maybe this answers part of your question. I'm always glad when I get the confusing SI units right in my intro-E&M lecture ;-)).

https://www.iec.ch/history-si
I told my beginner EM classes that unit assignment was an 'evolving process'. Students appreciated ohm and mho as reciprocal units for resistance and conductance. A 'light would go on' and students would exclaim, "Now I get it!".

Perhaps the family name siemens was more well known in Europe. I invariably invert the 'i' and 'e'.

Weber also enjoyed lingering minor affection as the name appeared on useful tools. I cannot remember an American ever saying ampere outside a lecture hall, but monosyllabic amp became ubiquitous and very popular.

"I was so amped by your lecture!".

Last edited:
Likes akerkarprashant and vanhees71

1. What is the history behind Ohm's law?

The history behind Ohm's law dates back to the early 19th century when German physicist Georg Ohm conducted experiments on the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in electrical circuits.

2. Who discovered Ohm's law?

Ohm's law was discovered by Georg Ohm in 1827. He published his findings in a paper titled "The Galvanic Circuit Investigated Mathematically" and it was later recognized as a fundamental law of electricity.

3. What led to the discovery of Ohm's law?

Ohm's law was discovered as a result of Ohm's experiments with electrical circuits and his desire to understand the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance. He noticed that the current flowing through a conductor was directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

4. How did Ohm's law impact the field of electricity?

Ohm's law revolutionized the field of electricity by providing a fundamental understanding of the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance. It paved the way for further advancements in the field and is still widely used in electrical engineering and circuit design.

5. Why is Ohm's law important?

Ohm's law is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electrical circuits and allows us to calculate the values of voltage, current, and resistance in a given circuit. It is also the basis for many other laws and principles in the field of electricity.