Did the Moghuls of India Really Build the World's Largest Cannon?

In summary, the History Channel is playing a documentary about black holes and people are arguing about whether or not one exists under the ocean. There is no answer and people are arguing about whether or not epidurals help relieve pain during childbirth.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
History Channel...Arrrggghhh!

The History Channel is playing this documentary called, "Earth's Black Hole."

During the course of the documentary they ask whether a black hole under the ocean could be responsible for the bermuda triangle...

Does anyone edit these things anymore?

Science news on Phys.org

It's all about business. They need to attract more viewers.

Hahahahaha I remember seeing that a few months ago. The History Channel is known to showcase **** like this.

G01 said:
The History Channel is playing this documentary called, "Earth's Black Hole."

During the course of the documentary they ask whether a black hole under the ocean could be responsible for the bermuda triangle...

Does anyone edit these things anymore?

Oh man, that's my favorite show! That comes on right after modern marvels: perpetual motion.

they ask whether a black hole under the ocean could be responsible for the bermuda triangle.
I missed it - so what's the answer?

mgb_phys said:

If there is one, it must be pretty small. I've been to Bermuda and I didn't see it.

LowlyPion said:
If there is one, it must be pretty small. I've been to Bermuda and I didn't see it.

You probably didn't see it because it's absorbing all the light that's hitting it...:rolleyes:

I first saw that about a year ago and decided to just stop watching the History Channel at that point--especially since that wasn't the only new show that has nothing to do with history. But then I was flipping through the channels last night and decided to wait out a commercial to see what was on History. Just my luck.

G01 said:
You probably didn't see it because it's absorbing all the light that's hitting it...:rolleyes:
[thread=283303]Marcus says, maybe not ![/thread] :tongue2:

Saw it about a year ago. It didn't have along description about what it was about on the cable guide. Started watching it thinking it would be something worthwhile. as soon as they started in on the BErmuda Triangle and dredging up all the theories about what could cause this phenomenon I turned it off. I'm surprised they re-ran it. It's a bunch of crap.

I once watched a show on the history channel regarding the "rod" phenomena. While the show seemed to take the idea seriously they definitely and conclusively debunked the whole thing at the end.

There's only so much history and only so much of it that people are actually interested in watching. If they are going to continue making new showsthey have to make them about something. And I don't see what's wrong with a show on the Bermuda Triangle and popular theories surrounding it. Regardless of it being a silly idea it is an idea that is part of our history. I've not seen the show so I have no idea how bad it might be but they certainly showcased some rather rediculous theories about rods in the show I mentioned.

mgb_phys said:

Don't know. We can't seem to get any information out of that area.

I just watched a show on the History Channel that showed what would happen if a huge asteroid hit earth. Then they interviewed people asking them if they knew this was going to happen and they would die a horrible death, what would their last wish be, and half of these morons said that they would want to have a child because they'd never experienced that before. Ok, what kind of sick, twisted person would have a child they knew would be incinerated after birth just so they could have the experience?

These are likely the same people that would insist on having an epidural.

LowlyPion said:
I had 5 epidurals with my first child and four with my second. They wear off after a few hours.

When the Evo Child was born, the girl in the room with me insisted on having a "natural" childbirth, no epidural. She was so wiped out from the pain that when it was time to deliver, she didn't have the strength to push and they had to do a C section (cut her open).

I pushed both of mine out after 2-3 pushes, the doctors were amazed. I guess that's really unusual.

Yeah, you touched on a really sore spot with me. These people that say that if you use pain blockers it's not a "natural" childbirth. BS! Delivery is just as natural with or without pain. But your chances of having an easier delivery if you had a chance to rest from the pain is a plus.

Evo said:
I had 5 epidurals with my first child and four with my second. They wear off after a few hours.
Don't you get repeats until they are at least 18?

mgb_phys said:
Don't you get repeats until they are at least 18?

You mean the pain stops once they are 18?

My 16 year old twins don't show any signs of it?

I liked the comment from the woman who said that she already had three kids, so she would have a martini.

Arrgghh! Nostradamus 2012 and this silly Mayan 2012 doom/destruction of the planet. People are willing to believe this and they discount the fact that the Mayans didn't predict the demise of their own culture?

Not to mention that there is no doomsday prediction for 2012 by the Mayans. It's a cycle that's repeated every 20 years that they are referring to, this 20 years is no different from the past 20 year cycles that the world hasn't been destroyed.

How can people be so stupid? Why do people want so desperately to believe in nonsense?

Last edited:

You can kind of understand the nonsense that provides people with some sort of hope, like people who say they can communicate with the dead, but I can't grasp why anyone would want to be interested in believing the world was going to end.

Evo said:
Not to mention that there is no doomsday prediction for 2012 by the Mayans. It's a cycle that's repeated every 20 years that they are referring to, this 20 years is no different from the past 20 year cycles that the world hasn't been destroyed.

You are right that there is not doomsday prediction for 2012, but it is the end of a ~5000 year cycle called a Piktun.

Kurdt said:
You can kind of understand the nonsense that provides people with some sort of hope, like people who say they can communicate with the dead, but I can't grasp why anyone would want to be interested in believing the world was going to end.

I have long suspected that deep down, many of us want the world to die with us. Perhaps some part of our psychy just can't reconcile the notion of the world going on without us. This seems to be esp true of older people who become unduly cynical about the future, which is what first caught my attention in this respect.

LowlyPion said:

Actually, Epidurals should be available to the father as well.

k

kenewbie said:
Actually, Epidurals should be available to the father as well.

k

I think there are oral epidural equivalents for that made of what seems to be in substantial portion alcohol.

Evo said:
Arrgghh! Nostradamus 2012 and this silly Mayan 2012 doom/destruction of the planet. People are willing to believe this and they discount the fact that the Mayans didn't predict the demise of their own culture?

How can people be so stupid? Why do people want so desperately to believe in nonsense?

Kurdt said:

Exactly, the only thing happening on Dec. 21 2012 is that the Mayan "Long Count" calendar reaches the end of it's ~5000 year cycle and restarts from the beginning. How people determine that this must coincide with the end of the world, I have no idea.

Also, in regards to Nostradamus, I won't say he's a prophet, but he is arguably one of the most successful scam artist in all of world history. His predictions are comically vague, yet people still by translations of his book!

G01 said:
reaches the end of it's ~5000 year cycle and restarts from the beginning. How people determine that this must coincide with the end of the world, I have no idea.
Exactly - the world isn't going to end until 2038 when Unix time_t wraps around.

Also, in regards to Nostradamus, ...yet people still buy translations of his book!
Although he has had trouble collecting the royalties for the last couple of centuries.

mgb_phys said:
Exactly - the world isn't going to end until 2038 when Unix time_t wraps around.

The end is nigh!

One bit of irony that is somewhat related to the discussion: We used to laugh at the notion that comets are harbingers of doom. Turns out that there may be some truth in that belief.

Ivan Seeking said:
We used to laugh at the notion that comets are harbingers of doom. Turns out that there may be some truth in that belief.
Not really harbingers though - they are doom!

Now a black cat walking backward under a ladder that meant a doomsday comet was on it's way - that would be a sign. Although I think my cat just does it to wind me up!

mgb_phys said:
Now a black cat walking backward under a ladder that meant a doomsday comet was on it's way - that would be a sign. Although I think my cat just does it to wind me up!
And if you see the same cat doing it again, then it must be dejavu and the code was altered!

mgb_phys said:
Not really harbingers though...

Unless we see it coming first...

I have often wondered if the myth is based on real events from long ago.

The other night one scientist commented on movies that showed people looking up at the sky as a huge fireball of a meteor was about to crash near them, he said that in reality the heat produced would have already incinerated anyone watching from that close. We're talking BIG meteors, like one that would wipe out New York.

Evo said:
The other night one scientist commented on movies that showed people looking up at the sky as a huge fireball of a meteor was about to crash near them, he said that in reality the heat produced would have already incinerated anyone watching from that close. We're talking BIG meteors, like one that would wipe out New York.

You wouldn't see the thing coming in as it hit the earth, but it might be seen for days or even weeks before it hit. Comets are often seen while approaching, and again after swinging around the sun.

Evo said:

You mean like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvCUmeoHpw

<h2>What is the "History Channel Arrrggghhh"?</h2><p>The "History Channel Arrrggghhh" is a popular television show on the History Channel that focuses on the history of pirates and their impact on world events.</p><h2>Is the show historically accurate?</h2><p>While the show does use historical events and figures, it also incorporates fictional elements and exaggerated portrayals of pirates.</p><h2>What makes "History Channel Arrrggghhh" different from other historical shows?</h2><p>The show takes a unique approach by focusing specifically on the history of pirates, rather than broader historical topics. It also incorporates reenactments and interviews with experts to bring the history to life.</p><h2>Can children watch "History Channel Arrrggghhh"?</h2><p>The show is geared towards older audiences due to its graphic depictions of violence and historical events. Parents should use their discretion when deciding if the show is appropriate for their children.</p><h2>Are there any educational resources available for "History Channel Arrrggghhh"?</h2><p>Yes, the History Channel website offers educational materials such as lesson plans and study guides for teachers to use in the classroom. There are also online games and activities for children to learn about pirates and their history.</p>

What is the "History Channel Arrrggghhh"?

The "History Channel Arrrggghhh" is a popular television show on the History Channel that focuses on the history of pirates and their impact on world events.

Is the show historically accurate?

While the show does use historical events and figures, it also incorporates fictional elements and exaggerated portrayals of pirates.

What makes "History Channel Arrrggghhh" different from other historical shows?

The show takes a unique approach by focusing specifically on the history of pirates, rather than broader historical topics. It also incorporates reenactments and interviews with experts to bring the history to life.

Can children watch "History Channel Arrrggghhh"?

The show is geared towards older audiences due to its graphic depictions of violence and historical events. Parents should use their discretion when deciding if the show is appropriate for their children.

Are there any educational resources available for "History Channel Arrrggghhh"?

Yes, the History Channel website offers educational materials such as lesson plans and study guides for teachers to use in the classroom. There are also online games and activities for children to learn about pirates and their history.