Did the Moghuls of India Really Build the World's Largest Cannon?

In summary, the History Channel is playing a documentary about black holes and people are arguing about whether or not one exists under the ocean. There is no answer and people are arguing about whether or not epidurals help relieve pain during childbirth.

Ivan Seeking said:
You wouldn't see the thing coming in as it hit the earth, but it might be seen for days or even weeks before it hit. Comets are often seen while approaching, and again after swinging around the sun.
He was talking about the people pointing up at a fireball covering half the sky and about to impact. He said no one's going to be pointing up at it at that point. :tongue2:

Science news on Phys.org

Comets travel really really fast as well so even if one could admire the inferno you wouldn't have long to do it.

Evo said:
He was talking about the people pointing up at a fireball covering half the sky and about to impact. He said no one's going to be pointing up at it at that point. :tongue2:

But, but, but, that's how it happens in armageddon movies! And you can hear the roar. And you can outrun the shockwave on a motorcycle. Everyone knows that. Geez.

LowlyPion said:
You mean like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvCUmeoHpw
Oh sure, make it look fun.

Ivan Seeking said:
But, but, but, that's how it happens in armageddon movies! And you can hear the roar. And you can outrun the shockwave on a motorcycle. Everyone knows that. Geez.
Or if you are in an underground tunnel, you will be ok.

Evo said:

Or if you are under your desk with your hands over your head.

...oh wait, that was for nuclear attacks.

LowlyPion said:
You mean like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvCUmeoHpw

Look what it did to big ben. :eek:

I like the thought of an English gent in a suit and bowler hat sitting at a table with a cup of tea and commenting with dry wit at the scene of destruction behind him having somehow miraculously survived.

At the end the Earth looked like an evil eyeball.

Ivan Seeking said:
Or if you are under your desk with your hands over your head.

...oh wait, that was for nuclear attacks.
Oh, you're going to love this. I was watching a show on Hawaii's volcanos, and guess what they have children do in school in case of an eruption that will cover them in lava before they can evacuate? They go into the hallway and kneel down on the floor head to the wall. Just like we did for atomic bombs at my school. :bugeye:

They could at least put them in amusing poses to entertain the archaeologists.

Kurdt said:
Look what it did to big ben. :eek:

I like the thought of an English gent in a suit and bowler hat sitting at a table with a cup of tea and commenting with dry wit at the scene of destruction behind him having somehow miraculously survived.

At the end the Earth looked like an evil eyeball.
Why is it in all the disaster movies, Big Ben is damaged, but still standing? I guess if it was flattened beyond recognition, it would have no impact, so it will always stand. :tongue2:

Evo said:
Oh sure, make it look fun.

I'm not so sure in that case a tunnel would be safe enough.

I don't think even Dick Cheney would be buried deep enough to escape consequences. It's an ill asteroid indeed that brings no good.

Me, I'd break out the best wine and a beach chair.

After all I'm just a LowlyPion.

Evo said:
Why is it in all the disaster movies, Big Ben is damaged, but still standing? I guess if it was flattened beyond recognition, it would have no impact, so it will always stand. :tongue2:

It is built well.

They don't make them like they used to.

The Discovery Channel has "Demonic exorcist night".

The first show is "Exorcist Files", followed by "Exorcists: The true story".

What's worse? I'm watching it. :blushing:

History channel tonight is Ancient Aliens night.

New show tonight!

Aliens, Plagues and Epidemics - A possible connection between aliens and plagues and epidemics is explored.

Why not?

I need to tell my students not to watch tv that sounds educational anymore.

Evo said:
History channel tonight is Ancient Aliens night.

New show tonight!

Aliens, Plagues and Epidemics - A possible connection between aliens and plagues and epidemics is explored.

Why not?

[PLAIN]http://www.memedr.com/images/107-ancient-aliens-dollar-goes-in-soda-comes-out-aliens.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

micromass said:
[PLAIN]http://www.memedr.com/images/107-ancient-aliens-dollar-goes-in-soda-comes-out-aliens.jpg[/QUOTE]Yep, [Broken] that's the guy. Looks like he's just seen an alien, eh?

micromass said:
[PLAIN]http://www.memedr.com/images/107-ancient-aliens-dollar-goes-in-soda-comes-out-aliens.jpg[/QUOTE] [Broken]

Surely I am not the first to notice this.
[URL]http://www.oinc.net/B5/Enc/images/londo.jpg[/URL]

waht said:
It's all about business. They need to attract more viewers.

They're loosing intelligent viewers to attract fogheads? How is that business model working for them?

DoggerDan said:
They're loosing intelligent viewers to attract fogheads? How is that business model working for them?

Looks like the general population disagrees with us.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1643266/ratings

"The program had 1.676 million viewers in late October 2010,[11] 2.034M in mid-December (for the "Unexplained Structures" episode)[12] and in late January 2011 it had 1.309M viewers.[13][14]"
-Wikipedia

Evo said:
Yep, that's the guy. Looks like he's just seen an alien, eh?

The hardest working hair on cable.

whowee said:
the hardest working hair on cable.
lol.

The regular documentary type programing is now on H2. Most Cable companies carry it, but for some it is extra.

http://www.history.com/schedule/h2/ [Broken]

edward said:
The regular documentary type programing is now on H2. Most Cable companies carry it, but for some it is extra.

http://www.history.com/schedule/h2/ [Broken]
Nostradamus 2012, Bigfoot. It's the same crap.

Nostradamus: 2012

Whatever is in store--a massive cosmic collision, a global environmental disaster, an Armageddon-lik… TVPG | CC

Evo said:
Nostradamus 2012, Bigfoot. It's the same crap.

Awww it is better crap than Swamp People, and some of the other trashy reality shows.:biggrin:

edward said:
Awww it is better crap than Swamp People, and some of the other trashy reality shows.:biggrin:
Ok. :biggrin:

From the link. There are some good shows left.

The Universe: How the Solar System was Made
At 4.6 billion years old, the Solar System is our solid, secure home in the Universe. But how did it… TVPG | CC

Episode Guide | Show Site
The Universe: How the Solar System was Made At 4.6 billion years old, the Solar System is our solid, secure home in the Universe. But how did it come to be? In this episode we trace the system's birth from a thin cloud of dust and gas. Shocked by a nearby supernova, the pull of gravity and natural rotation spun it into a flat disc from which the Sun and planets coalesced. It all happened in the space of 700 million years, during which the planets jockeyed for position, dodging the brutal bombardment of deadly asteroids and setting into the neat, stable system that we now realize might be a rarity in the universe.

.8:00 PM Modern Marvels: Walt Disney World.
Journey underground and backstage at the technological marvel that is Walt Disney World. Enter a mak… TVPG | CC

Episode Guide | Show Site
Modern Marvels: Walt Disney World. Journey underground and backstage at the technological marvel that is Walt Disney World. Enter a make-believe world spanning some 27,000 acres, brought to life by cutting-edge technology. What was once Florida swampland now boasts the world's largest theme park. The ride technology ranges from space-age centrifuges to enhanced motion vehicles powered by 3,000 PSI of hydraulic pressure. And hundreds of audio animatronics brought to life through the power of pneumatics, hydraulics, and electrical systems. Walt Disney World is made up of four separate theme parks, each with its own innovations: the 107-acre Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney-MGM Studios, and Disney's Animal Kingdom. The four parks are all part of a megaplex of a resort. Twice the size of Manhattan, it was the final vision and crowning achievement of a man who spent more than 40 years pushing the limits of technology to create entertainment magic: Walt Disney.

It's the talk radio model. Ancient Aliens for example (which has perpetuated the popular image macro meme shown above), is probably more watched by people who think its absurd then people who actually take it seriously. I know I never would have bothered to watch it if I hadn't seen so many "I don't know therefore aliens" posts. And boy, it was even more ridiculous then I expected.

South Park recently did an episode parodying the history channel where Kyle (in order to make fun of his friends' belief in aliens) writes a history paper claiming that Thanksgiving was actually the result of conflict between aliens. The history channel uses his paper as evidence for a show about how thanksgiving was caused by aliens. Of course since it's south park, Kyle's made up theory turns out to be true and hijinks insue.

The type of programs I prefer to see are comming on H2 in the early morning hours.

This morning it was about the 16th to 17th century Moghuls of India. They built the worlds largest cannon. At 20 tons it took four elephants to turn it on it's base. At the time they controlled the worlds sole source of diamonds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jaivan_Cannon_2.jpg

That is the History channel that I remember.

Last edited:
<h2>What is the "History Channel Arrrggghhh"?</h2><p>The "History Channel Arrrggghhh" is a popular television show on the History Channel that focuses on the history of pirates and their impact on world events.</p><h2>Is the show historically accurate?</h2><p>While the show does use historical events and figures, it also incorporates fictional elements and exaggerated portrayals of pirates.</p><h2>What makes "History Channel Arrrggghhh" different from other historical shows?</h2><p>The show takes a unique approach by focusing specifically on the history of pirates, rather than broader historical topics. It also incorporates reenactments and interviews with experts to bring the history to life.</p><h2>Can children watch "History Channel Arrrggghhh"?</h2><p>The show is geared towards older audiences due to its graphic depictions of violence and historical events. Parents should use their discretion when deciding if the show is appropriate for their children.</p><h2>Are there any educational resources available for "History Channel Arrrggghhh"?</h2><p>Yes, the History Channel website offers educational materials such as lesson plans and study guides for teachers to use in the classroom. There are also online games and activities for children to learn about pirates and their history.</p>

What is the "History Channel Arrrggghhh"?

The "History Channel Arrrggghhh" is a popular television show on the History Channel that focuses on the history of pirates and their impact on world events.

Is the show historically accurate?

While the show does use historical events and figures, it also incorporates fictional elements and exaggerated portrayals of pirates.

What makes "History Channel Arrrggghhh" different from other historical shows?

The show takes a unique approach by focusing specifically on the history of pirates, rather than broader historical topics. It also incorporates reenactments and interviews with experts to bring the history to life.

Can children watch "History Channel Arrrggghhh"?

The show is geared towards older audiences due to its graphic depictions of violence and historical events. Parents should use their discretion when deciding if the show is appropriate for their children.

Are there any educational resources available for "History Channel Arrrggghhh"?

Yes, the History Channel website offers educational materials such as lesson plans and study guides for teachers to use in the classroom. There are also online games and activities for children to learn about pirates and their history.