Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

History: Fiction or Science?

1. Dec 3, 2005 #1

Staff: Mentor

Here is another gem I found at www.talk-history.com

History: Fiction or Science?
    Anatoly Fomenko

"This is a most unusual book, one that undermines the very foundations of History. According to the author and his team of researchers, History as it has been taught in Europe ever since the Renaissance is fundamentally false, verified history beginning around 1250 AD the earliest. Jesus Christ was born in 1053 and crucified in 1086, the First Crusade being an immediate reaction to his Crucifixion. Homer identifies an an anonymous poet of the second half of XIII century AD, and the event led to the creation of the Iliad had been the fall of the Latin Empire of Constantinople in 1261 AD. The list goes on and on."

another review

"Fomenko's theory says, basically, that everything we are told about history pre-1600 is BS. Ancient history is, according to Fomenko, based on evidence quote-unquote "discovered" since the 15th century and arranged into a spurious standard timeline in the 18th century. (In some cases, the evidence was discovered much more recently: some Eastern religious texts were only uncovered in the 20th century.) Fomenko collates this evidence to argue that all those ancient chronicles are different versions of events which really happened roughly between 1000 AD and 1400 AD. The key event in Fomenko's timeline is the life of Christ (who was born in 1053 AD rather than 6BC, Fomenko believes.) After a relatively short-lived Eurasian empire disintegrated, each nation made up their own version of the empire's history, and generally each new version of the story was set farther back into the past than the previous one. (The newest version is the Hindu Krishna myth which is set about 10,000 years before the present day.) "

Anyone read this book? :bugeye:

I'm tempted to get the book to try to understand what he thinks happened before the year 1,000 AD since it would appear he believes that there is no recorded history prior to that date?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Hi Evo,

how did you do that? I saw a PM notice and clicked to read it---instead of a letter it was this post! I'll bet it was me---I clicked twice without noticing.

I can't believe this book is interesting---except for the fun of wallowing in outrageous fabrication.

or else if people are just curious to see how Fomenko argues for his distorted view. Like in a freak sideshow where the guy eats a live chicken.

but on amazon it said people who bought Fomenko also bought these other books some of which might be very readable and interesting:
    "Customers who bought this book also bought
    The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century by Thomas L. Friedman
    Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Jared Diamond
    History: Fiction or Science? Chronology 2 (Chronology) by Anatoly T. Fomenko
    The Third Chimpanzee : The Evolution and Future of the Human Animal by Jared Diamond"

The world is flat is apparently about globalization and the shift of wealth, power, technological leadership etc to places like China and India.
    the leveling out of the old Atlantic system----thrills and chills of rapid change in the 21st.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  4. Dec 3, 2005 #3

Staff: Mentor

Hmmm! That book and Fromenko seem awfully suspicious. There seems a lot of other folk and evidence to dispute those dates.

So Charlemagne is a myth?

And what of the Byzantine Empire and its influence on Christianity?

Eastern Europe has a lot of history going back before 1000 CE. When I was in Bulgaria, I was given a tour of the National Cathedral and in the basement they have Christian relics which supposedly go back to 300-400 CE. I also toured several monestaries and castles along the imperial route between Rome and Constantinople (Istanbul). The Byzantine influence is everywhere.

How about Alexander the Great and his exploits. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_the_great
    Then the records of the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches would seem to dispute Fomenko, not to mention Jewish history and historical records in India, China and Eqypt.

I suppose one could by the book to understand Fomenko's point of view. Is there any background on this person?
  5. Dec 4, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I assume Mr. Fomenko in his next book will prove that the pyramids in Egypt were built by British aristocrats in the middle of the nineteenth century (probably, there was some tax deduction purposes behind their actions)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?