What Can We Learn from the Past? An Exploration of History & Humanities

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, a new History & Humanities forum has been created on Physics Forums. Members are encouraged to suggest old threads that could be moved into the new forum. The new forum has been populated with some recent General Discussion threads and a classic Social Sciences thread. Discussions are ongoing about adding linguistics and archaeology to the list of subjects in the Social Sciences forum subtitle, as well as other suggestions for forum sections.
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Greg, you need to fix the link!

Evo said:
Hey Greg, you need to fix the link!

fixed thanks

Thank you for the new forum!

Yes, thank you. It should be interesting to see what comes up on it.

I went ahead and moved some recent GD threads, and a classic Social Sciences thread, into the new forum to help populate it a bit. If anyone has any suggestions for old threads that should be moved into the new History & Humanities forum, feel free to PM or email me.

edit: If you do have suggestions, please include a link to the relevant thread.

Last edited:
move the ww2 thread from the political forum to it! Perfect candidate.

Thank you, Greg.:smile:

Nowe we can discuss moonbear's, Evo's, Tsu's, SOS's, and MIH's births, without posting in the wrong forum!

Maybe I'm wrong: history is also before the birth of christ?

*runs*
*hides*
*dodges bullets*

yomamma said:
Nowe we can discuss moonbear's, Evo's, Tsu's, SOS's, and MIH's births, without posting in the wrong forum!

Maybe I'm wrong: history is also before the birth of christ?

*runs*
*hides*
*dodges bullets*
You'd better run and hide. :grumpy:

:rofl: yomamma, we can also discuss the history of men's desire for power!

Well this thread is almost about history! :uhh:

Evo said:
You'd better run and hide. :grumpy:
how about a 3rd delivery of nirvana chocolates?

Thank you. :smile:

So is the other thread going to stay in the staff forum? I just still have a few questions - should I post them here?

Thanks Greg! And thanks to Hypnagogue for populating it a bit so it gets some interest.

honestrosewater said:
Thank you. :smile:

So is the other thread going to stay in the staff forum? I just still have a few questions - should I post them here?
Well I think the thread is better to stay there provided that we would be allowed to go to the staff forum and continue our discussion! :rolleyes:

Okay, my questions were... :biggrin:

Can we still add to the subtitle of Social Sciences? Something like:
Anthropology, sociology, psychology, economics, linguistics, semiotics, archaeology, geography...

(maybe lose semiotics - I doubt many people recognize the name.)

Could the other suggestions (the 3 forum section, mind/brain forum, etc.) still be considered again in the future, or were they shot dead? Maybe if the new forum is successful... ??

Lisa! said:
Well I think the thread is better to stay there provided that we would be allowed to go to the staff forum and continue our discussion! :rolleyes:
Sounds fair to me. :approve:

honestrosewater said:
Okay, my questions were... :biggrin:

Can we still add to the subtitle of Social Sciences? Something like:
Anthropology, sociology, psychology, economics, linguistics, semiotics, archaeology, geography...

(maybe lose semiotics - I doubt many people recognize the name.)

I think we could do without semiotics and geography (in the interest of keeping the forum subtitle at a manageable length), but I think it's a no-brainer to add linguistics and archaeology to the list. The forum subtitles do seem to play an important role in guiding members' decisions about what to post where, and linguistics and (to a lesser extent) archaeology are two broad subjects that clearly should be classified under Social Sciences. Since this seems like such a no-brainer, I do anticipate something getting done here, but we have to wait for an explicit decision from the admin.

honestrosewater said:
Could the other suggestions (the 3 forum section, mind/brain forum, etc.) still be considered again in the future, or were they shot dead? Maybe if the new forum is successful... ??

We are in the process of discussing these suggestions, though it's unclear to me how long it will take to come to a consensus decision one way or another.

Groovy. :cool:

1. What is "History & Humanities Open"?

"History & Humanities Open" is an open-access platform that provides free and unrestricted access to scholarly articles and research in the fields of history and humanities. It aims to promote the sharing of knowledge and ideas among researchers, students, and the general public.

2. Who can access the content on "History & Humanities Open"?

The content on "History & Humanities Open" is accessible to anyone with an internet connection. It is free to read, download, and share for personal and non-commercial use.

3. How is the content on "History & Humanities Open" peer-reviewed?

All articles and research published on "History & Humanities Open" undergo a rigorous peer-review process by experts in the relevant fields. This ensures the quality and accuracy of the content.

4. Can I submit my own research to "History & Humanities Open"?

Yes, "History & Humanities Open" welcomes submissions from researchers in the fields of history and humanities. All submissions are subject to peer-review and must meet the platform's publishing standards.

5. Is "History & Humanities Open" affiliated with any specific institutions or organizations?

No, "History & Humanities Open" is an independent platform and is not affiliated with any specific institutions or organizations. It is supported by a community of researchers and volunteers who share a passion for promoting open access to knowledge.