Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

History of body binding

1. Apr 15, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

The history starts in biblical times?

http://www.essortment.com/all/historyofcors_rmue.htm

And it is suspected that men wore them too?

People have had some weired ideas throughout the years.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2008 #2
    We are a slave to fashion. I recall my sisters prying my body into my first Playtex long line girdle when I was 12. I was as excited, as I was horrifyed of it. I remember not being able to breath very well if I sat down. It really was a blessing when they went out of fashion in the mid to late 1960's. I only had to suffer with them for a few years.
    When my Great Grandmother was married, she sported a 13 inch waist, which was mentioned in the news paper write up of the event. It seems it was some type of bragging right.

4. Aug 24, 2008 #3
    Chinese foot binding makes me cringe.

5. Nov 4, 2008 #4

baywax

Gold Member

Then you don't like high heels?

The foot binding made it hard to run away. Similarly, I've noticed that high heels are difficult to run around in. I get the feeling they're not made for marathons.:wink: But they are made for some reason. Extra bulgy calf muscles? Protruding buttocks? Weird contorted stance? Yes.

Wet suits might seem pretty weird to whom ever finds one in 2364 AD.

6. Nov 4, 2008 #5

baywax

Gold Member

Gotta love the wasp-waist! To be more precise, the mud-dobber wasp waist.

My sisters used to iron their hair.

7. Nov 5, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My mom could tell me she had an 18 inch waist when she got married. Even when I was horribly underweight with a thyroid malfunction, I never had an 18 inch waist. I guess on the plus side, my mom would never try to force her wedding gown upon me if I ever got married. (I think she's given up hope on that anyway. :biggrin:) I can't imagine being so fixated on one's size that they remember their waist size from their wedding gown fittings!

8. Nov 5, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I just remember that when I was married and pregnant I had 28 inch hips. I could also, and still can, close the fingers of both hands completely around the upper thigh of each leg.

9. Nov 6, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No wonder you keep falling and breaking things...you hardly have enough muscle in those toothpicks to hold yourself up! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?