History of Body Binding: Biblical Times to Present

In summary, the history of corsets goes back Biblical times and has been met with mixed reactions due to the weired ways in which they are worn. They are now considered a fashion item that has gone out of style. High heels are also difficult to run in, and may be related to other weird bodily contortions. Corsets are not effective at holding in the stomach, and may be the cause behind many women's falls and injuries.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The history starts in biblical times?

http://www.essortment.com/all/historyofcors_rmue.htm

And it is suspected that men wore them too?

People have had some weired ideas throughout the years.

Science news on Phys.org
We are a slave to fashion. I recall my sisters prying my body into my first Playtex long line girdle when I was 12. I was as excited, as I was horrifyed of it. I remember not being able to breath very well if I sat down. It really was a blessing when they went out of fashion in the mid to late 1960's. I only had to suffer with them for a few years.
When my Great Grandmother was married, she sported a 13 inch waist, which was mentioned in the news paper write up of the event. It seems it was some type of bragging right.

Chinese foot binding makes me cringe.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Chinese foot binding makes me cringe.

Then you don't like high heels?

The foot binding made it hard to run away. Similarly, I've noticed that high heels are difficult to run around in. I get the feeling they're not made for marathons.:wink: But they are made for some reason. Extra bulgy calf muscles? Protruding buttocks? Weird contorted stance? Yes.

Wet suits might seem pretty weird to whom ever finds one in 2364 AD.

hypatia said:
We are a slave to fashion. I recall my sisters prying my body into my first Playtex long line girdle when I was 12. I was as excited, as I was horrifyed of it. I remember not being able to breath very well if I sat down. It really was a blessing when they went out of fashion in the mid to late 1960's. I only had to suffer with them for a few years.
When my Great Grandmother was married, she sported a 13 inch waist, which was mentioned in the news paper write up of the event. It seems it was some type of bragging right.

Gotta love the wasp-waist! To be more precise, the mud-dobber wasp waist.

My sisters used to iron their hair.

hypatia said:

My mom could tell me she had an 18 inch waist when she got married. Even when I was horribly underweight with a thyroid malfunction, I never had an 18 inch waist. I guess on the plus side, my mom would never try to force her wedding gown upon me if I ever got married. (I think she's given up hope on that anyway. :biggrin:) I can't imagine being so fixated on one's size that they remember their waist size from their wedding gown fittings!

Moonbear said:
My mom could tell me she had an 18 inch waist when she got married. Even when I was horribly underweight with a thyroid malfunction, I never had an 18 inch waist. I guess on the plus side, my mom would never try to force her wedding gown upon me if I ever got married. (I think she's given up hope on that anyway. :biggrin:) I can't imagine being so fixated on one's size that they remember their waist size from their wedding gown fittings!
I just remember that when I was married and pregnant I had 28 inch hips. I could also, and still can, close the fingers of both hands completely around the upper thigh of each leg.

Evo said:
I just remember that when I was married and pregnant I had 28 inch hips. I could also, and still can, close the fingers of both hands completely around the upper thigh of each leg.

No wonder you keep falling and breaking things...you hardly have enough muscle in those toothpicks to hold yourself up! :biggrin:

What is body binding?

Body binding is a practice of intentionally reshaping the body through various methods such as tight wrapping, corsets, and other restrictive garments. This practice has been present in many cultures throughout history and has been used for various reasons, including religious beliefs, fashion, and social status.

When did body binding begin?

The history of body binding can be traced back to ancient civilizations, such as in Egypt and Greece, where women used tight bandages and corsets to reshape their bodies. However, it became more widespread and popular during the Middle Ages in Europe, with the rise of the corset and other restrictive undergarments.

What were the reasons for body binding in biblical times?

In biblical times, body binding was primarily done for religious purposes. It was believed that by restricting the body, one could achieve a deeper connection with God and gain spiritual enlightenment. It was also seen as a way to show humility and dedication to faith.

How has body binding changed over time?

The practice of body binding has evolved over time, with different methods and purposes. In ancient times, it was mainly used for religious or spiritual reasons. In the Middle Ages, it became more of a fashion trend, with women using corsets and other garments to achieve an idealized body shape. In modern times, body binding is still used for aesthetic purposes but is also seen as a form of body modification and can have negative health consequences.

What is the cultural significance of body binding?

Body binding has played a significant role in many cultures throughout history. It has been used as a symbol of beauty, social status, and religious beliefs. It has also been linked to ideas of femininity and societal expectations for women's bodies. In some cultures, body binding is still practiced today, while in others, it is seen as a thing of the past.