How did Newton and Kepler come up with the concept of gravitational law?

In summary, the concept of gravitational law was developed through a combination of observations, experiments, and theories by scientists such as Hooke and Newton. Before Kepler's laws, they already knew that there was a force between two objects that was proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Newton's invention of calculus allowed him to establish his more fundamental laws of motion and gravitation, which were a result of his understanding of Kepler's laws. Ultimately, it was a shift in perspective that led Newton to his law of gravitation, as he realized that the same force that keeps objects falling to Earth also keeps the Moon in its orbit.
Avichal
I'm trying to understand on how people came up with gravitational law i.e. observations, experiments, theories etc. I have read a bit but there are some blanks that I cannot fill. I need some help regarding that.

It seems that people like Hooke, Newton already knew that there exists gravitational force between every two objects. And that it is proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to square of distance between them. This was confirmed by Newton based on Kepler's laws.

But I want to know how did they know this before Kepler's laws? What experiments did they do to come up with this? How did they come up with the concept of mass in the first place?

Physics news on Phys.org
They didn't know there was a force between two objects prior to Newton. They just knew that objects fell to the ground at a particular acceleration. They also had no idea what kept the planets in their orbits.

The concept of gravitational mass came about because some objects exert a stronger gravitational force than others, so they must have some attribute that governs this i.e. the quantity we call mass. This is different from the concept of inertial mass, which describes how much work is required to change an object's motion. In reality, though, these two masses are equivalent, which is why all objects fall with the same acceleration (neglecting air resistance).

Kepler came up with his laws of planetary motion based on years of observations of the planets made by Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe. Later on, Newton invented a new form of mathematics (calculus) which he used to write his famous laws of motion, as well as the law of gravitation. He found that Kepler's laws were a consequence of his more fundamental laws.

The well-known tale about Newton and the apple is likely apocryphal, but he did have a moment of inspiration when he reasoned that the force pulling an object down towards Earth is the same force that stops the Moon escaping into space. It was this shift in perspective, from the division between an imperfect Earth run by humans and an unchanging heavenly realm run by God to a unified system governed by the same laws, that ultimately led Newton to his law of gravitation.

1. What is the history behind the discovery of the gravitational law?

The history of the gravitational law can be traced back to ancient civilizations such as the Greeks and Egyptians who observed and studied the movement of celestial bodies. However, credit for the discovery of the law is given to Sir Isaac Newton who published his theory of universal gravitation in 1687.

2. How did Newton's theory of gravity differ from previous theories?

Newton's theory of gravity was revolutionary because it proposed that gravity is a universal force that acts on all objects in the universe. Previous theories focused on the Earth's gravity and did not account for the gravitational pull between other celestial bodies.

3. How did Einstein's theory of relativity impact the understanding of the gravitational law?

Einstein's theory of relativity, specifically his theory of general relativity, expanded on Newton's theory of gravity by proposing that gravity is not a force, but rather a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass. This theory provided a more accurate explanation for the observed motion of celestial bodies.

4. How has the understanding of the gravitational law evolved over time?

Since its initial discovery, the understanding of the gravitational law has evolved significantly through new discoveries and advancements in technology. In addition to Newton's and Einstein's theories, scientists have also uncovered the existence of dark matter and dark energy, which play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of gravitational forces in the universe.

5. What impact has the gravitational law had on our understanding of the universe?

The gravitational law has had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe by providing a framework for explaining the motion of celestial bodies and the formation of galaxies. It has also played a crucial role in the development of space exploration and our ability to predict and understand natural phenomena such as eclipses and tides.