Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

History of K.N formula

1. Mar 19, 2013 #1
    What is its importance? Where there any publications to prove exactly the formulation of Klein Nishina formula of Compton Effect? Why is it that complicated to prove..

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Above from Wikipedia.

It is important in order to calculate gamma ray transport correctly.

4. Mar 19, 2013 #3
    Thank you, but I would have liked to know more about its derivation. I found no online resources that show all the mathematical elaboration. Is there any book perhaps that has the full derivation. If not, then why such derivations can not be sought easily?

5. Mar 19, 2013 #4

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Did you look at this paper? Sect 5.3.1 gives a rather thorough treatment.

6. Mar 20, 2013 #5
    greiner book on quantum electrodynamics contain full derivation.Also it is treated in feynman's quantum electrodynamics.

7. Mar 21, 2013 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I remember seeing/doing the derivation in my grad school QED course which used Bjorken & Drell's texbook, probably "Relativistic Quantum Fields".

At that level, some or most of the details are often left to the student as exercises. :wink:

8. Mar 23, 2013 #7
    Thank you a lot for your suggestions and shared experiences!

9. Mar 23, 2013 #8
    One more thing. What prerequisites should we have in order to prove this (Physics and Mathematics)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook