1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

History of measuring g

1. Hi, I have to write a report on measuring g using a simple pendulum and I wanted to get a bit of the background. I understand that a pendulum was the best way to measure g up until about a century ago but did we use anything before that?
    Also what kind of methods have taken over?

I've tried looking up it's history but all I'm getting back are various things about how it's defined or the pendulum method. Anyway, any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Integral

Integral 7,346
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Galileo did it first.

4. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,410
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Note in dydxforsn's post the Cavendish balance is use to measure "G", not "g"! Be sure you understand the difference.

5. Okay thanks. I understand the difference between G and g but it's still been helpful just to get a bit of background knowledge anyway. I think I'm good as far as the history goes now, I'm just getting down to writing about the limitations of a pendulum. Modelling it as ideal, energy lost, that kind of thing. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?