What were the first particles discovered in the quark model?

In summary, from 1954 to 1975, evidence for the existence of the Delta(1232) quark resonance was present, but it was not officially discovered until 1982.
blue2script
Hi everbody,

I am currently learning about the quark model in more detail, how the multipletts are constructed and so on. However, I wonder what particles were really found in that time? I found a list somewhere in the net stating:

1937: [tex]\mu[/tex]
1946: [tex]K^0,\bar K^0[/tex]
1947: [tex]\pi^-, \pi^+, K^+, K^-[/tex]
1949: [tex]\pi^0[/tex]
1951: [tex]\Lambda[/tex]
1952: [tex]\Xi^-[/tex]
1953: [tex]\Sigma^-[/tex], [tex]\Sigma^+[/tex]
1955: [tex]\bar p[/tex]n
1956: [tex]\Sigma^0[/tex], [tex]\nu_e[/tex]
1959: [tex]\Xi^0[/tex]
1961: [tex]\eta[/tex]
1962: [tex]\nu_\mu[/tex]
1964: [tex]\Omega^-[/tex]

But then, in this list there are e.g. no Delta-Baryons but it is always said that Gell-Mann knew about them in order to fill the dekuplett. Also, what about the rho-mesons, the omega and such? Is there any reference out there where the dates of discovery are written?

Thanks for your help!
Blue2script

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a good question now that I think about more seriously. I was going to tell you that, obviously, the original references are in the Particle Data Group book. However, they say " Most of the results published before 1975 were last included in our 1982 edition". Then, when do you consider the publication as an official discovery becomes problematic. Everybody expected the [itex]\Delta[/itex] from quark models. The current reference (Nucl. Phys. A300 (1978) 321) quotes Nucl. Phys. B58 (1973) 378 as providing "some evidence for a slight violation of charge independence". So I guess the only way to make up one's mind is to look at them one by one...

humanino said:
Everybody expected the [itex]\Delta[/itex] from quark models.

This can't be true. The Delta would have been discovered in the very early 1950's, between 1951 (completion of the Chicago Cyclotron) and 1954 (Fermi's death). Quark theory didn't exist until 1964.

Vanadium 50 said:
This can't be true. The Delta would have been discovered in the very early 1950's, between 1951 (completion of the Chicago Cyclotron) and 1954 (Fermi's death). Quark theory didn't exist until 1964.
I'm puzzled. I'm just saying, once people had constructed quark models of hadrons, they expected a delta resonance. Am I crazy !?

Vanadium 50 said:
I think I understand :smile:
The Chicago group published a hint of the first ever resonance now called [itex]\Delta^0[/tex] in 1954. What I was saying is that now PDG refers to a more robust measurement from like 1979, which can be called direct observation. But yes, this hint of [itex]\Delta^0[/tex] was part of the motivation for the quark model itself. Once the quark model accepted, nobody had any doubt that this hint of resonance was true.

So in the end, it's best to look up the original references in any case.

humanino said:
I'm puzzled. I'm just saying, once people had constructed quark models of hadrons, they expected a delta resonance. Am I crazy !?

I'm saying the Delta(1232) predates this by a decade.

humanino said:
I think I understand :smile:
The Chicago group published a hint of the first ever resonance now called [itex]\Delta^0[/tex] in 1954. What I was saying is that now PDG refers to a more robust measurement from like 1979, which can be called direct observation.

I don't think this is right. My copy of Frauenfelder and Henley from 1974 has several pages on the Delta. It wouldn't have this if it weren't directly discovered until 5 years later. They also reproduce the PDG tables from 1973, and the Delta is listed as a 4-star resonance - "good, clear and unmistakable".

By 1979, there was charm, bottom, jets, QCD, and UA1/UA2 were just over the horizon.

I already quoted :
humanino said:
"Most of the results published before 1975 were last included in our 1982 edition".
In the printed version I have right here (2006, to be updated in a couple of weeks?), they say results from before 1977 are obsolete. I can't get the 1982 edition right now. Why did they dismiss previous results if they were already 4 stars, explain me... I also already said
humanino said:
and I have the plot from 1954 right before my eyes.

In any case, they had the quark model from the mid 60' so there was certainly not any much more discussion about the existence of the [itex]\Delta[/tex]. Only after did they understand that the quark model is not the end of the story.

I think this is getting pretty dull at this point. The original question was "where to find those dates altogether". I can only point to the PDG with the earliest possible reference, and start from there for digging. Please provide a better, up-to-date reference with historical references.

Keith A. Brueckner
Department of Physics, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana

Received 17 December 1951

The scattering (including charge exchange) of π- mesons in hydrogen rises from 18 millibarns at 60 Mev to a broad plateau of about 60 millibarns at 200 Mev, and is smaller than the π+ scattering at 60 Mev in the ratio of 0.63±0.09. The general features of the π- scattering, except for the high energy plateau, are given qualitatively by pseudoscalar theory with pseudovector coupling in the weak coupling limit; the ratio of π- to π+ scattering predicted by this theory in the weak coupling limit is, however, 1.67, which is much higher than the experimental result. A phenomenological theory of the scattering is developed by using the methods of Wigner and Eisenbud and imposing the restrictions of charge symmetry. By using the qualitative assignment of the resonance levels parameters as given by weak and strong coupling theory, satisfactory agreement with experiment is obtained. It is concluded that the apparently anomalous features of the scattering can be interpreted to be an indication of a resonant meson-nucleon interaction corresponding to a nucleon isobar with spin 3 / 2, isotopic spin 3 / 2, and with an excitation of 277 Mev.

©1952 The American Physical Society

URL: http://link.aps.org/abstract/PR/v86/p106
DOI: 10.1103/PhysRev.86.106

I need to find my copy of Frauenfelder and Henley. :grumpy: I think there were hints of a baryon/nucleon resonance in the early 50's. I guess the question is when the resonance was recognized as [itex]\Delta[/itex], and when it was realized that fractional charges were involved.

Here's my contribution:

M. Gell-Mann, The Eightfold Way: A Theory of Strong Interaction Symmetry, March 15, 1961
http://www.osti.gov/cgi-bin/rd_accomplishments/display_biblio.cgi?id=ACC0113&numPages=52&fp=N

Murray Gell-Mann, Symmetries of Baryons and Mesons, Phys. Rev. 125, 1067 - 1084 (1962)
http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v125/i3/p1067_1?qid=cb679a695b397b47&qseq=25&show=30

Gell-Mann announced the quark in 1963, but was thinking about it earlier.
In 1961 two physicists, Murray Gell-Mann of the United States and Yuval Ne`eman ... due to their fractional charge nature, quarks cannot exist in isolation . . .
http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/21st_century_science/lectures/lec16.html

Origin of the word 'quark'
http://www.physik.uni-halle.de/Fachgruppen/Theorie/qft/quark.html
Murray Gell-Mann, physicist, assigned the name "quark" to the fundamental constituents of the nucleon back in 1963. Further details are found in his book The Quark and the Jaguar published in paperback in 1995.
The Quark and the Jaguar
From Page 180:
In 1963, when I assigned the name "quark" to the fundamental constituents of the nucleon, I had the sound first, without the spelling, which could have been "kwork". Then, in one of my occasional perusals of Finnegans Wake, by James Joyce, I came across the word "quark" in the phrase "Three quarks for Muster Mark". Since "quark" (meaning, for one thing, the cry of the gull) was clearly intended to rhyme with "Mark," as well as "bark" and other such words, I had to find an excuse to pronounce it as "kwork". But the book represents the dream of a publican named Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker. Words in the text are typically drawn from several sources at once, like the "portmanteau" words in "Through the Looking Glass". From time to time, phrases occur in the book that are partially determined by calls for drinks at the bar. I argued, therefore, that perhaps one of the multiple sources of the cry "Three quarks for Muster Mark" might be "Three quarts for Mister Mark," in which case the pronunciation "kwork" would not be totally unjustified. In any case, the number three fitted perfectly the way quarks occur in nature.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805072535/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Phys. Rev. Lett. 17, 789 - 793 (1966)
http://link.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v17/p789
Production of the Nucleon Isobars 1236, 1410, 1518, and 1688 MeV in Proton-Proton Collisions at 2.85, 4.55, 6.06, and 7.88 GeV/c
I. M. Blair and A. E. Taylor
Atomic Energy Research Establishment, Harwell, England

W. S. Chapman, P. I. P. Kalmus, J. Litt *, M. C. Miller, D. B. Scott, and H. J. Sherman
Queen Mary College, London, England

A. Astbury and T. G. Walker
Rutherford High Energy Laboratory, Chilton, Berkshire, England

Received 11 August 1966; revised 14 September 1966
Momentum spectra of protons scattered inelastically in proton-proton collisions were obtained in an external beam at Nimrod using incident proton momenta of 2.85, 4.55, 6.06, and 7.88 GeV/c and various scattering angles in the range 22 to 144 mrad. There is evidence for the production of the 1410 MeV isobar at small angles. The well-known isobars of mass values 1236, 1518, and 1688 MeV are also seen. The differential cross sections are presented for the production of these isobars. They are analyzed in terms of the usual variables s and t. Fits to the observed momentum spectra indicate for the N*(1410) a mass of 1410 ± 15 MeV and a width of 125 ± 20 MeV

See also -
M. Gell-Mann, Phys. Lett. 8, 214 (1964); G. Zweig, CERN report No. 8182 TH 401 (1964).

http://www.osti.gov/accomplishments/gellmann.html

Higher Symmetry Schemes for Strong Interactions
http://www.jstor.org/pss/2415018
L. Van Hove
Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series A, Mathematical and Physical Sciences, Vol. 288, No. 1413 (Oct. 26, 1965), pp. 156-160

See - A study of the fractional charge content of the cosmic radiation
http://www.springerlink.com/content/t4h987t56428603n/

Update: Delta: the first pion nucleon resonance - its discovery and applications; Nagle, D.; October 26, 1999; LALP--84-27; ACC0011
http://www.osti.gov/accomplishments/documents/fullText/ACC0011.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Who discovered the first particle?

The first particle to be discovered was the electron, which was discovered by physicist J.J. Thomson in 1897 through his experiments with cathode rays.

2. How were particles discovered before modern technology?

Before modern technology, particles were discovered through experiments and observations with natural phenomena. For example, the ancient Greeks discovered the concept of atoms by observing the behavior of matter.

3. How have particle discoveries contributed to our understanding of the universe?

Particle discoveries have greatly contributed to our understanding of the universe by revealing the fundamental building blocks of matter and their interactions. They have also helped to develop theories and models that explain the behavior and origins of the universe.

4. What is the significance of the Higgs boson discovery?

The discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 confirmed the existence of the Higgs field, which gives particles their mass. This is a crucial piece of the Standard Model of particle physics and helps to explain how particles acquire mass, a fundamental property of matter.

5. Are there still undiscovered particles?

Yes, there are still many particles that have yet to be discovered. The Standard Model of particle physics is not a complete theory and there are still unanswered questions and unexplained phenomena that suggest the existence of new particles. Scientists continue to search for these particles through experiments at particle accelerators and other means.