History of Physics: Newton or Later Development?

In summary, the first person to talk about reference frames was Galileo, and he invented the idea of inertial frames. Galileo was also the first to talk about pseudoforces.
i_island0
I know it is a bit naive to ask in here.. but can anyone tell who was the first one to actually start talking about reference frame. Was it Newton or later development by some people of that era corrected Newtons law.
Historically i checked many places but no answers as of yet.
And who gave the idea of Pseudo forces?

Physics news on Phys.org
By pseudo force, do you mean "[URL forces?

Coordinate transformations are named http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_angles" .

Though, many times things are named in honor of people, though they didn't actually invent it. (So I could be wrong.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the name given to simple coordinate transformations is that of Galileo.

I believe Galileo invented the idea of inertial frames of reference.

I am less sure, but however would still bet, that Galileo was the first to talk about pseudoforces, even if that's not what he called them.

I'd look into the life and works of Galileo and see if it wasn't him.

From Wikipedia:

Galileo also put forward the basic principle of relativity, that the laws of physics are the same in any system that is moving at a constant speed in a straight line, regardless of its particular speed or direction. Hence, there is no absolute motion or absolute rest. This principle provided the basic framework for Newton's laws of motion and is central to Einstein's special theory of relativity.

Did Newton actually come up with "Newton's bucket"? That is used to establish a fixed reference frame.

Galileo and Lorentz transformations are commonly mentioned...maybe there were others before them...perhaps Euclid??

Naty1 said:
Galileo and Lorentz transformations are commonly mentioned...maybe there were others before them...perhaps Euclid??

I HIGHLY doubt the greeks would have ever quantified the concept if they had it at all.

I'm pretty sure that the quote lays to rest the question about reference frames. Yes, the quote talks specifically about "inertial reference frames", but I believe these were probably the first to be introduced. That is, I believe the idea of reference frames coincides with the idea of "inertial" ones.

Perhaps an inspection of Newton's "Principia" would yield some references to earlier work. Who knows?

And it looks like D'Alembert is responsible for pseudoforces.

1. What is the significance of Isaac Newton in the history of physics?

Isaac Newton is considered one of the most influential physicists in history. He laid the foundations for classical mechanics with his laws of motion and universal gravitation. He also developed the mathematical framework of calculus, which is crucial for understanding physical laws.

2. How did Newton's theories impact later developments in physics?

Newton's theories provided a solid framework for understanding the physical world and were the basis for many advancements in physics. His laws of motion and universal gravitation were used by later scientists to explain phenomena such as planetary motion, the behavior of fluids, and the motion of objects on Earth.

3. Did Newton's theories face any challenges or revisions in later developments?

Yes, Newton's theories faced challenges and were later revised by other scientists. For example, Albert Einstein's theory of relativity expanded upon Newton's laws of motion, and the discovery of quantum mechanics challenged the idea of a deterministic universe.

4. What other areas of physics did later developments focus on?

Later developments in physics focused on various areas, including electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. These fields expanded our understanding of the physical world and led to the development of new technologies.

5. How has the study of the history of physics influenced modern physics?

The study of the history of physics has provided valuable insights into the evolution of scientific thought and the development of theories and concepts. It has also highlighted the importance of experimentation and the role of collaboration in advancing scientific knowledge. Modern physicists continue to build upon the work of past scientists and use historical context to inform their research.