1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

History of science

1. Jun 2, 2007 #1
    This is a practice exam question on a course relating to the history of science that I am trying out in order to prepare for my exam, but I am kind of stuck on this question. I hope somebody can help me out!
    [​IMG]
    [Total marks: 7x2=14]

I would match:

Leibniz with calculus (or Newton? I am not too sure whether each person can be matched to multiple answers...but the total marks for this entire question is 7x2=14 so maybe not...but how can I pick only one of them?)

Newton with reflecting telescope

Leeuwenhoek with protozoa

Halley with comet

Galileo? I have no idea which should be match to him...

Hooke? Descartes?

Can anyone please help me out so that I can gain more confidence before writing the exam?
    Thanks a lot!:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2007 #2
    Does anyone have any idea? Any help is greatly appreciated!

4. Jun 2, 2007 #3
  5. Jun 2, 2007 #4
    Can Galileo be matched to any of the answers on the right? I have 5 textbooks for this course and I have done all the readings carefully, but I still can't get the answer for this one...

And for Newton and Leibniz, who is more heavily related to calculus?

Thanks!

6. Jun 2, 2007 #5
    Both are HEAVILY related to calculus, but Newton is more heavily related to the reflecting telescope than Leibniz.

7. Jun 2, 2007 #6
    Thanks........

According to my readings, I would match Galileo with refracting telescope, law of falling bodies, projectile motion, features on the moon, sunspots, Jupiter's Moons (but I can't find any of these on the right side), but I am not aware of his contributions to either centripetal or centrifugal force...did Galileo do any work on it?

8. Jun 3, 2007 #7

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would put Hooke with cell as he discovered the cell. Newton with reflecting telescope, Leeuwenhoek with protozoa, Liebniz with calculus, and Halley with comet, leaves Descartes and Galileo with centrifugal and centripetal force. I would put Descartes with centrifugal force. That would leave Galileo with centripetal force.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?