Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Reviewed - Bad -Real bad.

1. Apr 14, 2005 #1
    For all those that wanted this to be a great movie...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2005 #2
    Which gets me thinking, whats the purpose of doing a movie? To tell a story right? Whats the point of having a well known/loved story that you want to make into a movie. To tell the already great story visually? How about when they completely change it to the point the story is not even recognizable short of a few characters and similar plot. PROFIT. We are seeing way to much of this in our days. Take a well known name purely for movie sales. Sickening.
  4. Apr 14, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not really suprised, it was inevitbly going to be crap, I'll think I'll stick with the BBC TV series thankyou very much (or even just read the book :surprised )
  5. Apr 14, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

what a depressing waste....thank Zarquod for cable

(jcsd - be sure to check out the radio series that started it all too!)
  6. Apr 14, 2005 #5
    Oh my god that sounds so horrible! This is go-... wait, isn't that what it's supposed to be like in the books?
  7. Apr 14, 2005 #6
    Not really. I read the "long" review; it seems that while the book's nonsense is funny, for some reason they seemed to have taken the funny parts out of the movie's silliness, and are left with, well, a silly unfunny movie (if its anything like the long review).
    I'll still go to see it, just in case it's not that bad. :uhh:
  8. Apr 14, 2005 #7
    I refuse to see it. I knew from the start it would not come out well, and everything coming forth (especially the trailer) supports that.
  9. Apr 14, 2005 #8
    The beauty of Hollywood is they can always do another remake. Hopefully for the better.
  10. Apr 14, 2005 #9
    Hmmm. Just looking it over it sorta seems like the reviewer is comparing the movie to the book just a little too much, which you obviously can't do as the movie needs to stand on its own. He references how you need to read the book to understand it but that might not be true/ have an effect: I went with friends to see harry potter III who never read the book/ understood every detail but still thought it was a good movie.
  11. Apr 14, 2005 #10

Gold Member

ha, never read the book, cant be dissappointed! *covers hears and yells out lalallalalalala*
  12. Apr 14, 2005 #11

Gold Member

Are there movies of the other books in that series? just wondering. :confused:
  13. Apr 15, 2005 #12

Gold Member

The extreme example of this that just left me shaking my head in absolute perplexity was:

1) Take a great story by Phillip K. Dick entitled 'We Can Remember it For You Wholesale' and

2) adapt it into a so-so movie and rename it 'Total Recall', then

3) novelize the screenplay into a so-so book and release it under the 'Total Recall' title.

:confused: :grumpy: :confused: :grumpy: :confused: :mad:
  14. Apr 15, 2005 #13
    I read where Douglas Adams wanted to make the movie back in the eighties with Michael Nesmith of the Monkees. Too bad he never got to make it himself, it probably would have been worth seeing.
  15. Apr 15, 2005 #14

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

16. Apr 15, 2005 #15
    um, those arnt little things to me, they are very important parts to this story!
  17. Apr 16, 2005 #16
    oh my...
    and I wanted to see it so badly.

hitchhiker was the best book that's ever happened to me.

i need a towel
  18. Apr 18, 2005 #17
    The Hitchhiker series are hands down one of the best things I've ever discovered. I've read them all (as well as Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agencey) repeatedly. These books are well written, intelligent and require the reader's imagination and intelligence. That said, mainstream Hollywood doesn't like these qualities. Lately every movie that comes out has to be very low brow and dumbed down for the audience, everything has to be explained in a simple fashion or else they think they'll lose their audience. Plus action, lots of action. Wouldn't surprise me if the movie was re-written so that Aurther and Ford go on a Vogon killing spree. I am a huge movie guy, but I think I'll sit this one out until it's on Netflix.
  19. Apr 18, 2005 #18
    Ill still go see this movie regardless of the negative reviews. Gives me something to do on the weekend of the 29th.
  20. Apr 18, 2005 #19

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

And, you get a good excuse to drink yourself to oblivion afterwards..:wink:
  21. Apr 18, 2005 #20
    Maybe ill bring a book along with me if its that bad.... hmmm now what would be a good witty sci-fi type book I could read if this movie blows.

Should bring one anyway to show the kids that this kind of entertainment also exists in paper form.

Hey, what book movie thing you think they will attempt to break next? Enders Game anyone?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?