Golf Ball Deformation: How Stiffness Impacts Club Speed

• Thread starter phlegmy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Golf
In summary: YouTube of a golf ball being hit by a club. He noticed that the ball deformed quite a bit and that the far edge remained stationary during this process. As the ball started to move faster than the club swing, Chris questioned whether his understanding of the physics behind this was correct. He theorized that the speed at which a golf ball can be launched depends on its stiffness and that there is a happy medium between stiffness and club swing speed. Chris is interested in hearing expert opinions on this matter. In summary, Chris is questioning the physics behind a slow motion video of a golf ball being hit by a club and is wondering about the relationship between the ball's stiffness and the speed at which it
phlegmy
ok so i saw a vid on youtube of a golf ball being hit by a club in slow mo. it was quite interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y57pw_iWlk&feature=related
somethings i noticed:

>the ball deformed quite a bit!
>as it began to deform the far edge seemed to remain stationary.
>the ball started to move faster than the club had been swinging.

so i was thinking:

when the club first strikes the ball, it provides no kinetic energy to the ball only potential energy [the deformation of the ball].

when the initial "pulse" from the club reaches the far end of the ball, the ball stops deforming and begins to resume its normal underformed state.

in resuming its undeformed state it pushes back agains the club providing it with foward momentum, as such its speed will consist of the speed of the club swing + the extra push it gives itself due to resuming its normal shape.

so my question is:
it this right?? !

and so i was thinking that the speed you can launch a golf ball at depends very much on the stiffness of the ball.
i'm supposing the stiffer the ball is:
the quicker it will resume its shape after deformation and so the quicker it will fly off the club, AND, the harder it will be to deform in the first place, thus the less elastic energy it will have to use to accelerate away from the club.
so there probably exists a happy medium which depends on the speed at which you swing your club?
i suppose i could try to do some sums on this but i'd be interested to hear you expert opinions! thanks :D

Physics news on Phys.org
phlegmy said:
ok so i saw a vid on youtube of a golf ball being hit by a club in slow mo.:D

Optimum has to do with rates. The golf ball needs to release its stored elastic energy completely while it's still in contact with the club head. Otherwise it will do so against it's own CG to no avail. I'm not a golfer but I don't think that I would want to be swinging at a steel ball bearing.

Chris

Last edited:

I find your observations and thoughts on the deformation of a golf ball quite intriguing. You are correct in your understanding that the stiffness of the golf ball plays a crucial role in its acceleration and speed when struck by a club. The deformation of the ball upon impact is due to the transfer of energy from the club to the ball. This energy is then used by the ball to accelerate and propel itself forward.

The stiffness of the golf ball is determined by its material composition, specifically the type and amount of rubber used in its construction. A stiffer ball will indeed deform less upon impact, resulting in a quicker return to its normal shape and a faster acceleration away from the club. However, there is a delicate balance between stiffness and deformation that must be considered. If the ball is too stiff, it may not deform enough upon impact and therefore not transfer enough energy to achieve optimal distance. On the other hand, if the ball is too soft, it may deform too much and lose energy in the process, resulting in a shorter distance.

The speed at which a golf ball can be launched also depends on the speed at which the club is swung. This is because the kinetic energy of the club is transferred to the ball upon impact. The faster the club is swung, the more energy is transferred to the ball, resulting in a higher velocity.

In conclusion, your observations are correct and show a good understanding of the physics behind golf ball deformation and its impact on club speed. I would encourage you to continue exploring this topic and perhaps even conduct some experiments to further your understanding. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights.

What is golf ball deformation?

Golf ball deformation refers to the amount that a golf ball compresses or flattens when struck by a golf club.

How does stiffness impact club speed?

Stiffness is a key factor in determining how much energy is transferred from the golf club to the golf ball upon impact. A stiffer golf ball will deform less upon impact, resulting in less energy loss and a higher club speed.

What is the relationship between golf ball deformation and distance?

The amount of golf ball deformation has a direct impact on the distance the ball will travel. A softer golf ball will deform more and lose more energy, resulting in shorter distances. A stiffer golf ball will deform less and retain more energy, resulting in longer distances.

What factors affect golf ball stiffness?

The materials used in the construction of the golf ball, as well as the design and construction of the golf ball's core and cover, all contribute to the overall stiffness of the ball. The compression rating of a golf ball is also a good indicator of its stiffness.

How can I choose the right golf ball stiffness for my game?

The right golf ball stiffness for you will depend on several factors, including your swing speed, playing style, and personal preference. It is recommended to try out different golf balls with varying stiffness levels to see which one feels the best for your game.