1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hiya! Need HELP?

1. Apr 18, 2005 #1
    hay everyone....need some help on the question :cry:

I need to find dz/dx in terms of x and y, if:

Z = x^2y - 2xy^2 + y - 8 and y = 2x^2 +3/x!

tried solving it a few times, but its a difficult one! any help and working out would be great! :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We'd be better able to help if you show us what you've done.
  4. Apr 18, 2005 #3
    Ok dz/dx

x = 2y - 4y +y

y = 4x + 3

dont think that is right!
  5. Apr 18, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are given z as a function of x and y, and y as a function of x. So I suggest that you substitute all the y int he equation of z for their value in terms of x and then calculate dz/dx.
  6. Apr 18, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Use the chain rule. Since y is a function of x, dz/dx= 2xy+ x2y'- 2y2+ 4xy6y' + y'. since y = 2x2 +3/x, you can find y' as a funcion of x and substitute.
  7. Apr 21, 2005 #6
    i think i can help,dz/dx=x^2y[dy/dx(log[x^2])+2y/x]-2y^2-4xydy/dx+dy/dx
    where dy/dx=4x - {3/x!}[1/x+1/x-1+1/x-2+1/x-3.......]
  8. Apr 22, 2005 #7
    hallsofivy ur step was wrong since y is a function of x cant differentiate like that
    check ur solution one more time,ur step will be right if the question reads x^2 times y ,but if it is x raised to the power of 2y then mine is correct.also i hope the 6 in the function 4xy6y' was a typing mistake cos if it is not then ur answer is wrong.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?